Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Black targa top?

ajax6

I've got an opportunity to buy a -91 ZR-1. The present owner has had the car repainted due to the original paint having lost its luster over the years. The paint shop that did the job has confirmed this and I have seen pics of the car that shows the same thing.

What's funny though, is that the part of the targa roof, where the top mounted brake light is mounted, is black. I have not seen this on any other ZR-1. Does any of you know if this is according to spec or if it's an indication of something being wrong?

Ajax

img3fcfe8ed04cc5.jpg

Nice looking car.

The black piece looks like a replacement part (is it a flat black as it appears?) that did not get painted. I have seen replacement body parts that come that way, ready for final prep and paint, since it is obviously impossible to predict the color of the car that the part will go on.

Good luck with the car!

Yeah it's as it appears on the pic. OK, so it's been replaced. Figured it might have. And this was done before the repaint. So far so good. I can understand that you don't paint it directly once you put the new one on. I can also understand that a paint shop not familiar with the Vette misses it when doing the new paint job (considering the blackish glass roof). And I can easily get it painted once and if I buy the car.

But my worry is: why was it changed in the first place? Has this car rolled?

In the process of selling, the present owner had the car on a major run through at a professional shop. Everything looked ok and among other things they measured the straightness of the chassi and found a 0.8 mm (that's zero-point-eight millimeters) skewness (if thats the word - meaning difference from perfectly straight). Without knowing the spec figures to me that sounds like well within what's acceptable. Even for a new car.

Still - why was that panel changed? (The present owner didn't do it). Anyone around who ever did that for some reason?

Ajax

One thought might be that the rear glass got broke and was replaced and I think you can check the date on the glass.

I agree with Redman, and also point out that the hinge that is in that panel that holds that entire glass piece has been known to go bad. I would say that is the likely reason. But you should chack to make sure the car was not in an accident.

Overall, the car sounds good.

Thank's for the advice. Your reasoning sounds logical enough to me. I'll see what I can find out.

And keep your fingers crossed that I'll get my hands on this beauty! It's dependent on me selling my Camaro SS (see pic below).

Ajax

2980SS_1.jpg

True. It's a -00 SS, M6 with 12 K on the meter. Mint condition, fully equipped. A very good rig for the next owner.

Ajax

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom