Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Blackwing Installed - Idle Erratic

82shark

Corvette
2001 Black Convertible 6-speed
Installed my new blackwing tonight. Runs great, only question is when mashing clutch in and taking out of gear approaching a stop, the idle dips way low! Actually shut off on me once or twice, but usually bottoms out around 400 rpms then bounces back up to 700 or so and runs OK. Any clues will this go away once the pcm learns the new air box?
Ed

82shark said:
Installed my new blackwing tonight. Runs great, only question is when mashing clutch in and taking out of gear approaching a stop, the idle dips way low! Actually shut off on me once or twice, but usually bottoms out around 400 rpms then bounces back up to 700 or so and runs OK. Any clues will this go away once the pcm learns the new air box?
Ed

When I installed my VaraRam, the instructions said that the computer would have to do a re-learn process that would take a while (50 miles???). I do not know whether or not that is what is going on with your car.

82shark said:
Ed

Ed,

Any follow up on this? I'm planning on installing a Blackwing as well and wondered if the low idle problem cleared up.

Remo:cool

UPDATE:
I dissasembled and reinstalled. The connection between the MAF sensor and the bellows is a tight fit with not a lot of overlap and during the twisting of installing it, a small amount of separation must've occurred. I re-did it and it runs better now but still has a little surging at idle and at cruise. Could be the engine managment system adjusting to the additional air flow. I did run a C5 Idle relearn procedure. Didn't notice much difference.
ED

Update on the Blackwing

Got tired of it tonight, have done an "idle relearn" procedure, driven it a 100 miles or so. Gave up, reinstalled the stock air box, everything is fine! No surging at cruise and the low idle is stable and staying between 700 and 800 when taken out of gear. As opposed to dipping down to 300 or 400 and sometimes stalling out. Im at a loss!

Dumb questions, should the filter be oiled prior to use? The instructions didn't say you have to, I assumed it was pre-oiled. Any ideas? I emailed Corvettes of Houston to see if they had any insight?
Ed
:confused

I installed mine last week and have no problems. imstalled the Blackwing and Z06 exhaust and there is a noticable difference. i can only suggest disconnecting the battery as they suggest and reset the 'codes'. Keep us posted.

I added a Blackwing last Month (A4 Tranny, and did not reset anything), no problems what-so-ever.

While waiting for the UPS truck to show (It got to my house late in the afternoon, good thing to cus it took me 3 hours or so to do the Mod) I decided I was gonna modify the factory fog lamp covers and to get more cold air in like the cold air screens availible for purchase form WCC

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/shop_online/prod_detail.cfm?id=86

Here is mine that I took to a Bandsaw.

ColdAir1.JPG

ColdAir2.JPG

ColdAir3.JPG

With the ZO6 screens in the front you cannot see the cutouts.

Hope to have 1/8 mile track results next month from the mods.

Pulling and cutting those screens really sucked...hope it was worthwhile.

Cheers
Beer

Gonna Give it Another Try

Thanks Black Moon. I plan on giving it another try. No one answered my last question though

Do you need to oil it before initial use?

I would think not, so I will try to reinstall it again, being extra carefull not get any separations after the MAF.
ED

BLACK MOON said:
I installed mine last week and have no problems. imstalled the Blackwing and Z06 exhaust and there is a noticable difference. i can only suggest disconnecting the battery as they suggest and reset the 'codes'. Keep us posted.

I did not oil mine (nor did it come with any oil) I purchased it from WCC. IIRC the instructions said to reoil at 50k miles.

Cheers
Beer

82shark said:
Ed

I installed one of these on my 03 last Spring. Has been running great, no problems whatsoever. Did not notice anything unusual right after the install.

I ordered the oil kit and re-oiled it this year. Runs great and looks great.

Bob

Shark,

I did not oil mine, and have not had any problems. About 45 minutes to install.

Nice Job!
I modified mine a couple of years ago with a 1/2in drill bit :)

Big Beer said:
I added a Blackwing last Month (A4 Tranny, and did not reset anything), no problems what-so-ever.

While waiting for the UPS truck to show (It got to my house late in the afternoon, good thing to cus it took me 3 hours or so to do the Mod) I decided I was gonna modify the factory fog lamp covers and to get more cold air in like the cold air screens availible for purchase form WCC

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/shop_online/prod_detail.cfm?id=86

Here is mine that I took to a Bandsaw.

ColdAir1.JPG

ColdAir2.JPG

ColdAir3.JPG

With the ZO6 screens in the front you cannot see the cutouts.

Hope to have 1/8 mile track results next month from the mods.

Pulling and cutting those screens really sucked...hope it was worthwhile.

Cheers
Beer

Tuning Got most of the Erratic Idle Out

I took it to a local tuner here in Town who specializes in ls1, ls6, lt1, etc. He dialed it in and it doesn't do it nearly to the level that it was. He was a little confused too, but thinks he was on the right track and stabilized the idle pretty good. It also put down 331 rwhp and 340 rwtq. Not too bad with a pretty much stock mn6 with only a blackwing air intake.
Ed

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom