Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Blown A/C clutch fuse

T

tlvt

I replaced the a/c compressor and clutch 1year ago on my 96 . Immediately after the new parts were put on the a/c/clutch fuse blew. I replaced it and have had no problems untill now. The fuse has blown again and replacing it and turning on the a/c it blows immediately. What causes this?Thank you for any help. Ted, Bradenton fl.

One thing for sure. The load is more then the fuse can handle. Several possibilities here. A wire is shorted maybe. Wonder what the pressures are? High head can cause the load to exceed the fuse limit. You could have a restriction in the system somewhere causing this. If the system has a high pressure switch that's is not opening if the system is indeed running high head, current will go up on the electro magnet (clutch). I would make sure wires are good and not shorting out somewhere, then, I would check the other from there.

I would say it has to be a shorted wire or the clutch coil is shorted .Preasures are all controled by switches ,if I remember right. On the older cars back in the 70s they had a diff system with a fuse in the presure system. Use an ohm meter to check the coil for shorts .

96 LT4 clutch just went out

Hi all, Last night heard a loud pop and lost pedal. New clutch installed 7 months ago. However I did not have cltch mstr cylinder/slave cylinder changed out. I'll be doing repairs to save money. If issue is slave or master cylndr do I need to drop exhaust system/tranny/ bell housing or can I just replace s.cylinder and c. Master cyl? Any ideas? Many thanks, Mac.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom