Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Blown fuse 17 caused many notices on DIC...

HallenTi

Corvette
2006 Victory Red coupe
I was driving along just fine when all of a sudden there was no power, chimes started chiming, and I received "Service Traction Control", "Service Active Handling", "Service ASB System" and "Reduced Power" notices on the DIC. The engine felt like it was running on just a couple cylinders - no power to speak of.

I pulled over and began to check things. In the fuse panel under the hood, I found that fuse #17 had blown. It is marked THROTCOMP (15). I have always carried spare fuses so I was on my way in minutes. The fuse has been just fine since, so I can't explain why it blew, but I do have more 15AMP minis along, just in case.

Just thought I'd pass that along in case anyone else has the same problem and so will know where to begin looking.

I was driving along just fine when all of a sudden there was no power, chimes started chiming, and I received "Service Traction Control", "Service Active Handling", "Service ASB System" and "Reduced Power" notices on the DIC. The engine felt like it was running on just a couple cylinders - no power to speak of.

I pulled over and began to check things. In the fuse panel under the hood, I found that fuse #17 had blown. It is marked THROTCOMP (15). I have always carried spare fuses so I was on my way in minutes. The fuse has been just fine since, so I can't explain why it blew, but I do have more 15AMP minis along, just in case.

Just thought I'd pass that along in case anyone else has the same problem and so will know where to begin looking.

Very interesting for sure and thanks for the heads-up, hope I don't need it but now I know, I did check to make sure I have extra fuses on hand anyway :upthumbs

Bill :w

Thanks from me as well. Time to spend a few bucks for a mini fuse kit to keep on board. A lot cheaper than a call for a tow.

Thanks again.

Speaking of a "tow" (previous post)...

A month ago, I had the same issue crop up. Got the "REDUCED ENGINE POWER" message while driving, and no throttle response. Put a new fuse in, and as soon as I turned the key, blew that one. Tried one more time - same thing.

Ended up having the car towed to the local dealer. Was told that the Powertrain Control Module was internally shorted. Shortened story - they replaced the PCM and the fuse no longer blew, but... then additional codes showed up (P1120, P1220, ans P1516). They said I also needed the Throttle Control Module, so ordered that as well (along with what they said was a broken bracket for both).

After a 13 day stay at the shop (delivery issues with the parts), and a $1,408.51 bill, I took it home. Have driven it for just over 2 weeks without issue.

Yesterday, after some driving, a stop at home, at restart - same issue. Fuse #17 had blown again. Since I had not been moving and jostling around, it didn't seem to be a possible short to power. I replaced the fuse and it was fine. I have scheduled a diagnostic check this coming week back at the dealer, and the only code related to this was a current and historical P1518 (PCM to TAC Module Serial Data Circuit). But, I believe this is due to the fact that the fuse blew and the modules couldn't communicate with each other.

Bottom line - the expensive fix didn't completely fix it, as it went from intermittent, to a hard failure, back to intermittent. Once I get some more info after the diagnostic, I will update.

Modules replaced: 19109040 (assume PCM), and 12578953 (TAC)

In the mean time, if someone has any more ideas that I can check, or have the dealer check, please update this thread.

Thanks, Tim

Keep us posted, I have had some messages on traction control/ABS brakes and etc. but never reduced engine power.

Hope you get a clean bill of health but let us know about the codes that are stored in the DIC or ECM.

Thanks,
Bill

Thanks for the info. I'm going to buy a box of mini fuses to keep in the car.

HI there,
It sounds like you have a wiring issue thats intermittantly rubbing through.
First, I would tow the vehicle right back to the dealership and tell them that your still having the same problem.
They SHOULD stand behind the repair.
Second, have them inspect for a wire chaffing through on the drivers side rear fuel impact bracket. This is at the BACK of the fuel injector rail.
As the wiring harness bends around the bracket, it will sometimes rub through the electrical tape and can create these failures.
Allthebest, c4c5

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom