Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Blue '96 - Not Grand Sport?

That is NOT a Grand Sport. All Grand Sports were made in 1996, all had Admiral Blue with Arctic White striping, and all had two red hashmarks on the left front fenders. Also, all Grand Sports had an LT4, 6 speed set-up...none had the automatic option. All Grand Sports had a unique VIN series -- "001" to "1000".

In fact, many 1996 6-speeds are advertised as "Grand Sports" because GM labeled the throttle body "Grand Sport" on all 1996 6-speed cars...much confusion about that, especially with non-Corvette people!

Elaine

Admiral Blue was only available in the GS model so I would think that it is a repaint. The only real way to tell is to get the color code from the build sheet or the RPO Service Parts ID Sticker. Blue was not an available color in 96 it the regular models. Email the seller and ask what the color is and what the "WA number" is at the bottom of the RPO sticker.

You might even take the VIN to your local Chevy dealer and ask the Service Manager if he would run a Vehicle Service History on that VIN. It will show the service history along with the build date, and all of the options including the factory paint color.

The VIN shows an LT1 motor ("P" in the VIN) and as the ad says it has an auto tranny so it has to be an LT1.

The Grand Sport VIN's also used a 6 as the beginning of the sequence number to define the 1000 cars made: 6000001 thru 601000. The VIN of the car in the ad marks it as a very early 96 model (100296) probably made in the first month or so of the production run.

I know it's not a GS, just curious if anyone thought a regular admiral blue 'vette could have made it into the run. I know the all the numbers say that there were none built, but there always seems to be oddities in the production. The miles are so low, and the paintjob looks so good I thought it could be an oddball of sorts.

I asked the owner for the RPO #'s off the car, and I haven't gotten them as of now... he said he was going to get back with me.

I think that VIV 1G1YY32P... is 1995 not 1996

1996 VIN's are 1G1YY225...

That's correct - the VIN posted in the auction is for a 1995, not a 1996.

It also appears that the car may have been painted. Remember that only 1996 had body color between the fog lamp and side marker light assembly.

The car shown in the auction should have black between the assemblies since the VIN is for a '95.

Steven

No, neither of those mean anything except the 1G1YY32P ... means its a Corvette conv. with a automatic trans. Could be a 95 or 96.

1G1YY225.... means it a 1996 Corvette coupe with a manual trans.

The VIN listed in the add is for a 96 Corvette conv. w/ auto trans. the only thing that dosen't add up is the color... ask for a photo of the VIN and the RPO tag. Its hard to tell but it looks like a re-paint in the one photo that shows the engine bay. Just my .02

The 10th digit of the VIN is the model year. A letter "T" is a 1996, a letter "S" is a 1995.

The VIN in the eBay ad shows a letter "T" in the 10th position so the car is a 1996.

That's correct - the VIN posted in the auction is for a 1995, not a 1996.

It also appears that the car may have been painted. Remember that only 1996 had body color between the fog lamp and side marker light assembly.

The car shown in the auction should have black between the assemblies since the VIN is for a '95.

Steven

Yep - I looked a bit more closely, and I was wrong. The Black Book shows a "5" in the engine position on the example VIN for a 1996, and I didn't think about the "P" for an LT1 automatic.

Mea Culpa!

Steven

Yep - I looked a bit more closely, and I was wrong. The Black Book shows a "5" in the engine position on the example VIN for a 1996, and I didn't think about the "P" for an LT1 automatic.

Mea Culpa!

Steven

I made the same mistake. So much for late night posts.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom