Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Blue motor vs Orange motor

dstrouts

Corvette
Please allow me to show my ignorance. The motor in my 1981 Vette is blue and I've seen others in L81s that are also. But it seems that orange is a more standard color for a Chevy 350. What's the correct color for my motor and is there any rhyme or reason for it? What about other years/generations of Corvettes? Would someone please enlighten me!;help

I believe early 1977 were orange and late 77's changed to blue. Don't know why..

It's referred to as corporate blue. Back in the late 70s they were putting Chevy motors in Oldsmobiles and it caused a big stink. Guess they figured if they painted all the divisions motors the same color they could just put them in whatever models they wanted.

I remember my grandparents bought a new 1977 Olds Delta 88 with the 350. He had ordered it in baby blue inside and out with white vinyl interior. About a month later they received a letter from GM that it had a Chevy motor in it. My granddad was so mad. He took great pride in being able to afford an Olds and had driven them for 30 years. I think I remember that he could take a cash settlement of $100 or for $500 they would take his on trade and build him another, but wouldn't guarantee it had an Olds motor. He kept the car, and if I remember correctly, never cashed the check. I inherited the car in 1994 with about 60K on it, drove it a couple of years and gave it to my sister. The car was pretty basic for an Olds. PS, PB, Auto, Air and a vinyl top. No PW or PL. Only an AM radio. I remember my kids were shocked that they had to crank their own windows up/down and lock their doors. I never did get used to those white vinyl seats!;LOL

From The Corvette Black Book: "Between August 23 and September 7, 1976 Flint Engine changed from orange paint to blue for Corvette engines. Thus, early production 1977 models were orange, later production were blue."

:)

I remember my grandparents bought a new 1977 Olds Delta 88 with the 350. He had ordered it in baby blue inside and out with white vinyl interior. About a month later they received a letter from GM that it had a Chevy motor in it. My granddad was so mad. He took great pride in being able to afford an Olds and had driven them for 30 years. I think I remember that he could take a cash settlement of $100 or for $500 they would take his on trade and build him another, but wouldn't guarantee it had an Olds motor. He kept the car, and if I remember correctly, never cashed the check. I inherited the car in 1994 with about 60K on it, drove it a couple of years and gave it to my sister. The car was pretty basic for an Olds. PS, PB, Auto, Air and a vinyl top. No PW or PL. Only an AM radio. I remember my kids were shocked that they had to crank their own windows up/down and lock their doors. I never did get used to those white vinyl seats!;LOL
Old guy that lived next door to my parents had the same situation. He traded in his beloved 68 Olds for I think a 76. He noticed the motor was orange but didn't really think much of it. I was the bearer of the unfortunate news when I walked over with my dad to look at his new car. He did get some kind of settlement but I don't know what. The car was never the same for him. After all, he was a lifelong Olds guy.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom