Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Body Mounts = Lift Body ?

Rob79er

I have heard of some people saying that the car only needs to be jacked up an inch in order to replace the mounts. Is this true? If so please explain the method...:)
Also does anyone know the best place to buy the hardware and mounts?
thanks

Hello Rob,

It is true. First soak the mount bold in the WD40 (1 or maybe 2 days) and then try to take them out. Don't force the bolds you don't want to brake the square nut through to metal case. For a 1" lift you wouldn't need to take the ground strips off so that's easy. Always jack the body up in the corners and i would do it equal left and right (first front then rear or other way around). Fill the space between the chassis and birdcage with solid wood so the birdcage can rest on this and just in case for some protection.
I did a compleet body off so I don't know all the tricks but this should work :)
Good luck,

Groeten Peter

I replaced them on my '73 about 4 months ago. I just jacked up one side at a time. Aside from the obvious things to disconnect like the steering coupler I also removed the front frame extensions and the two extreme corner braces for the rear bumper, also had to remove the rear bumper on mine. Your 79 obviously doesn't have a chrome bumper but I'd bet the brace is there in some form. I didn't disconnect the emergency brake cable, the brake lines, any ground straps or wiring. Watch your fuel lines in RR corner.

When I lifted mine I placed some 2x4 blocking under the floor pan to distribute the load from the floor jack and just jacked it up. I was able to lift it about 3" - 4" on each side. It went up really easy and the mounts were easy to get to then. If I had to do it again on my car it would probably only take about one afternoon.

If the nut above the rear wheel well spins inside the square cage just squeeze it a bit with a pair of vise grips. Thats what i had to do.

good luck

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom