Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Body restoration preperation

• Thread starter Thread starter Kicnrocks
  • Start date Start date
K

Kicnrocks

I am working on my 1971 body, soda blasting and stripping the paint. I have found at least four levels of primer from the fiberglass body. I am wondering due to the thickness should all levels be removed or just smoothed out? I am thinking that all should go to have a clean start but I am unsure as some posts I have read say never strip down to the glass. The problem really is it is hard to take just down one level when so many are on the car. The paint is gone and I could do a clean job and start from a "new level" but an unsure how far to go at this point. any comments would be of help in looking at this problem.

I've done it both ways. The first time I stripped it all the way down becuasr I had to do so much body work. The second time I just took off what I needed to. I wish I had stripped it all off on the second; it would have made it easier in the long run. Also I found, after getting the new paint on, areas that should have been. To late now, just have to live with it. JUST My .02 worth.

Gary

SAVE the WAVE

i would take off all of it. start fresh, it would look better in the long run.

What's the condition of the primer you've found? Fairly good? Do you need to do any body work? If what you've found is fairly good and you don't need to do any body work, you can probably smooth out what you have and put a good quality primer/sealer over it.

Post some pics of what you got.

:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom