Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bolt Identification

81L81

Corvette
81 White Coupe
I took a turn the other day and heard something ping along side of the road. So I pulled over and walked a few paces back to find a long bolt in the road. It was still hot to the touch so I assumed it was mine. I took the Vette back to my garage to see if I could locate where it belonged to no avail. So I am asking if you guys could possibly identify it from the pictures... Thanks for the help.

IMAG0092.jpg IMAG0088.jpg

Check your starter...
It looks like one of them
There are only 2!!!!

Starter bolts were the first bolts I checked. Not starter bolt....I really need to put it up on a lift.

Not a starter bolt....there are not too many places in a C3 which use a bolt that long and which does not have a cotter pin

Motor mount to frame is the only other place I can think would use one.

Is that 7/16"? Motor mount?

3/8"? AC compressor lower pivot bolt??
Trans crossmember to frame?

Just my $0.05.
Chech your rear spring center bolts under the diff. There should be 3, 2 long ones like this one and one short one. As your exhaust is running under it that is why it was hot I think :)

Greetings Peter

Looks like some blue paint on the bolt which is the engine color. Thought about pivot bolt for alternator or power steering but I think you would know if one of those came out. Worth checking.

IIRC, bolts that are marked like that one, with the 9.8 on the head, are usually metric. Standard US threaded bolt markings are normally hash marks.

IIRC, bolts that are marked like that one, with the 9.8 on the head, are usually metric. Standard US threaded bolt markings are normally hash marks.

I was also thinking about that one. As there aren't that much metric parts in an 81, try the airpump (metric) maybe the bracket bolts are also metric?

Greetings Peter

The AIR pump lower bolt won't come out unless the pulley is removed.

Just something else to throw out.....front stabilizer link bolt.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom