Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bonding SMC pannels together

socor7

Corvette
1976 White with red Int 4 speed
I am looking at bonding my new front fender on tonight. I have purchased
http://ecklers.com/product.asp?pf_id=27281&dept_id=127

My only concern is there is no directions on how to mix and apply. I am also concerned with the weather. Currently it is like 40 degrees and very humid (rainy). I am afraid that the cold damp weather will affect the adhesion. any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Drew

I am looking at bonding my new front fender on tonight. I have purchased
http://ecklers.com/product.asp?pf_id=27281&dept_id=127

My only concern is there is no directions on how to mix and apply. I am also concerned with the weather. Currently it is like 40 degrees and very humid (rainy). I am afraid that the cold damp weather will affect the adhesion. any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Drew
Don't do it Dude!!! Unless you want to keep it clamped or screwed till about June!!!!!:L Temp needs to be around 60 or warmer,the Temp and Humidity will effect it Big Time!! That is a 50/50 mix!! Good stuff but I'll never go back to Qt's!! I buy it by double 12 oz tubes that fits a Special caulking gun, You can get it at most Automotive Paint Supply Stores!! The store I get mine will give you the gun if you buy 2 or more kits at $38.00 ea.!! They come with a Special tip that Mixes as it comes out!!! No Mess and Easy to put it where you want it!!Using Qt's is messy and half the time you either mix to Much or to Little, and that can be a problem if it's real warm!!!I found it to be allot Quicker, Easier and allot less clean up in the tubes!! Lord Labs "Fusor" makes all sorts of Neat Bonding Adhesives,Heck half the steel panels on regular cars are bonded on with it now days!!! :upthumbs

attachment.php

Would there be any way to keep a garage warm and use haligon lamps to keep the pannels warm, or any other suggestion that don't keep me from sticking it on before next spring? My zip is 81621 which show current weather at 47 deg and 50% humidity.

Thanks,

Drew

Would there be any way to keep a garage warm and use haligon lamps to keep the pannels warm, or any other suggestion that don't keep me from sticking it on before next spring? My zip is 81621 which show current weather at 47 deg and 50% humidity.

Thanks,

Drew
Yeah, I use Heat lamps allot in the winter here!! I keep my garage about 65 year around!! I have a Good Heating and Air Conditioning source in my shop!! You may be able to rent a small Kerosene or Propane heater for a Short time reasonably for a day!! Even a couple electric heaters if the garage is not to large!! You just need it at least 60 for say 8-12 hours after that you would probly be alright!! I think the Full cure is 12-24 hours depending on temp!!:upthumbs

How long must I wait.

After an eventfull night of playing with that cool bonding agent and keeping the garage above 60 deg all night we finally got it bonded. I noted this morning that what was squeezed out was very firm and not very tacky any more.

So I am wondering how long before I can start to work the body lines and start to prep for paint? Do I need to let it cure for another 24 hours, as it already has been 24 since I placed the pannel.

Thanks,

Drew

After an eventfull night of playing with that cool bonding agent and keeping the garage above 60 deg all night we finally got it bonded. I noted this morning that what was squeezed out was very firm and not very tacky any more.

So I am wondering how long before I can start to work the body lines and start to prep for paint? Do I need to let it cure for another 24 hours, as it already has been 24 since I placed the pannel.

Thanks,

Drew
I'd say your good to go,24 hours should be sufficient!!:upthumbs

What sort of products would you suggest to do the body work with. I will still have some other fiber glass work to do to fill in some larger gaps and also fix some minor cracks.

Thanks,

Drew

What sort of products would you suggest to do the body work with. I will still have some other fiber glass work to do to fill in some larger gaps and also fix some minor cracks.

Thanks,

Drew
I use Evercoat Vette Panel Adhesive Filler!! :upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom