Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Borgeson Install frame flex

Zero1Niner

Corvette
1981 White Coupe
Just installed my Borgeson steering kit this weekend. Really nice improvement. I will post about my install experience later, but wanted to ask about some concerns I see right now.

1) I'm seeing a lot of flex in my chassis when tuning through the full range of left to right. In fact, i see it when any steering input is made. It's a little concerning. Anyone else have this problem? Any long term consequences? Maybe it did this with the factory system too, but I'm not sure i noticed it the pronounced. I realize the torque of the Borgeson is much more dependent on the frame structure than the factory system was, and honestly I can't remember how much flex was happening before the install, but I felt a bit uncomfortable with how much flex I am now seeing. I know I already have a slight frame crack forming on the same side under the a arm, so I'm sure this is going to accelerate the need to get the frame welded. I will need to remove the entire driver side a arm to weld it properly...I think.

2) when I turn to the stops, I get a squealing noise and it bogs down the engine a bit. Normal? Air in the system? Bad unit?

3) there are certain points when I feel the turn of the wheel is not perfectly smooth throughout the rotation. Like a funky dead or weak spot now and then..but not consistent. It's small, but thought I'd ask if others have this same thing.

Would love your feedback and comments. Thanks!

Oh yeah. It's on a 1981 mostly original.

1) C2/3 frames flex as steering load changes. If you have wider than stock tires, the flex will be more. That said, there are some places C2/2 frames crack and, if your frame is cracked, the flex will be even still more. Remove the steering gear and see if the area around the big hole in the frame and between the hole and the steering gear mounting holes have cracks. Also, check for cracks between the frame rails and where the front crossmember is welded to the frame. Lastly check for cracks where the front lower control arm shafts bolt to the front cross member.

2) That's the belt slipping. Tighten the belt or get a new one

3) Without feeling what your feeling I really don't have an answer for that one other than to suggest you inspect the entire steering linkage to make sure nothing is binding or is excessively worn.

1) C2/3 frames flex as steering load changes. If you have wider than stock tires, the flex will be more. That said, there are some places C2/2 frames crack and, if your frame is cracked, the flex will be even still more. Remove the steering gear and see if the area around the big hole in the frame and between the hole and the steering gear mounting holes have cracks. Also, check for cracks between the frame rails and where the front crossmember is welded to the frame. Lastly check for cracks where the front lower control arm shafts bolt to the front cross member.

2) That's the belt slipping. Tighten the belt or get a new one

3) Without feeling what your feeling I really don't have an answer for that one other than to suggest you inspect the entire steering linkage to make sure nothing is binding or is excessively worn.

Hey Hib,

Thanks for the reply. The frame crack has been bugging me since I bought the car. I need to get this welded asap.

Thanks for the advice on the belt. I will check to see if its tight enough.

I did inspect QUITE a bit for binding, and it looks right. I need to replace a bunch of bushings, springs shocks, etc. Hope that smooths it out. I might be paranoid. It might be fine. I have only driven it twice since I installed it, so might be a little hyper sensitive. ;)

Hello Zero,

I have my Borgeson unit in there for about a year or so. Nothing wrong with the unit! You're correct that the Borgeson puts more stress on the chassis as the OEM system did. Now all the power steering is connected to the frame, the OEM system the power steering was away from the chassis. Next the unit still is connected in the OEM spot, that is the spot where the big hole is right behind the unit. I made a steel thick plate with the 3 bolt holes so it covered the big hole and should in theorie also reduce flex.

Best way to get all the air out of the system is to put the front up and just start steering from left to right and back. Check after 10 times or so the oil level and fill if necessary. But if you have air in the system then it is most likely to fail at low rpm and the power steering is gone at that moment. Well I can tell you, you don't forget it when that happens! ;)

I can't remember and weird spots in the power steering.

Greetings Peter

One of the recommended frame mods in the old Chevrolet Power book was to weld a plate over that large hole. Along with that, plating over the small holes and full length welds on the frame rails. All in the name of reducing the flex. There are also a half dozen plates to weld in and around the front suspension to prevent cracking. Someone sells a kit with the front suspension stiffeners, I'll see if I can recall who.

Just found it-- Tom' Differentials has a kit of 4 plates that weld around the front.

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom