Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Borla vs Dynomax sound

B

billv

I have headers, no cats , true duals, with Borla mufflers on my 90. It's a little too loud for me. Does anyone know if Dynomax Super Turbo's would be any quieter? What about Magnaflow?

If these are the same Walker mufflers I have used, they are very quiet. They are low backpressure. I use them for stock replacement.I think they are also lifetime warrenty as long as you own the car.

Glenn
:w

I don't mean stock replacement, and I don't have cats, which makes it a lot louder. I just don't like the glasspack like rasp the Borlas have

Dynomax Super Turbo is what it says on the box.Made by walker.Even without the cat they aren't all that loud.I have been thinking of putting them on my 90.

Glenn

Dynomax System Sound

I just received a Dynomax kit for my 88. The kit consists of 2 stainless muffler assemblies and a rear Y-pipe that has an equalizing tube. I will be recording the sound before and after installation for Walker Exhaust, manufacturer of the Dynomax line. (I am a distributor). I should be able to post the sound clips when complete.

I'll keep you posted.:Steer

Thanks McSnagg, I am wondering about the sound of this system. I'll be anxiously awaiting your results!
Brad

Yeah, me too.

Here's what I'm thinking of doing: New front Y (no pre-cats), high/free flow main cat, Walker rear Y w/crossover balance tube, and Walker DynoMax mufflers. I want a system with the best flow, least back-presssure, no resonance, with the lowest amount of Decibels that I can get. It appears to be a good idea, but I have no way of comparing the various manufacturers' claims without hard numbers (Decibels @ x ft, cubic feet per minute, back pressure, etc.), and none of the mfrs. offer those numbers.

McSnagg, as a distributor, are you privy to these numbers, or do you know where I could obtain them or product comparison notes? I only want to buy these things once. I am not in the position of "trial-and-error" buying. Know what I mean?

Thanks.

Mike
'90 'vert

Tech Specs

I will check with my Rep and see if the information is available.

Just put Flowmaster on my wife's 90 L98. It is stock with cats. Got them from Mid America as they were advertised to be quieter. They were quieter than the Magna Flows they replaced.

DynoMax Information

Yeah, me too.

Here's what I'm thinking of doing: New front Y (no pre-cats), high/free flow main cat, Walker rear Y w/crossover balance tube, and Walker DynoMax mufflers. I want a system with the best flow, least back-presssure, no resonance, with the lowest amount of Decibels that I can get. It appears to be a good idea, but I have no way of comparing the various manufacturers' claims without hard numbers (Decibels @ x ft, cubic feet per minute, back pressure, etc.), and none of the mfrs. offer those numbers.

McSnagg, as a distributor, are you privy to these numbers, or do you know where I could obtain them or product comparison notes? I only want to buy these things once. I am not in the position of "trial-and-error" buying. Know what I mean?

Thanks.

Mike
'90 'vert

Here is the response I received from WALKER/DynoMax Engineering;

Provided is information and data on the Dynomax Ultra Flo SS kit 17392 which includes Ultra Flo SS mufflers 17274 and 17275 along with u-bolt clamps for the 1984-91 Chevrolet Corvette 5.7L V8.

Flow - each muffler is identical in internal design and flows 736 cfm(cubic feet per minute) at 1.50" Hg test backpressure in the muffler.

Power - based on our Dynomax Powertech Index (see page 4 in the 2006 Dynomax catalog) each muffler has the capacity to support 334 loss free HP or 668 loss free HP when used in a dual exhaust system on the Corvette.

The stock 1984 Corvette 5.7L V8 engine produced only 205 HP @ 4200 rpm.Torque level was 290 lb-ft @ 2800 rpm.

Resonance levels - is subjective in that consumers have various preferences in levels that each likes. In my opinion, these mufflers generate a "moderate" level of resonance on the 1984-91 Corvette model.

Decibel levels - we do not have objective microphone sound level data on this application, but we have had some consumers comment that they thought the tail pipe sound level was too quiet. In my opinion, it is slightly louder, outside, than stock.

U-bolt clamps vs band clamps - we use primarily u-bolt clamps with Dynomax systems. The slight indentation made in the pipe with u-bolt clamps does not disrupt exhaust flow enough to be able to measure.

For more information: www.DynoMax.com

Good job, McSnagg. That's the kind of information I've been searching for. It's not perfect, but what is? It's a good start, though.
Thank you.

Mike
'90 'vert

I have dynomax mufflers on my 87 with no cats and it has an nice sound. On long trips it's all I want. It's loud enough you have to turn up the radio to hear it at road speed..
I have nothing much to compare it to. I did ride in someone's thirdgen firebird with some type 3" flowmaster with no cat and it was a good bid louder.

JS

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom