Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bose Speaker Locations in '90 Coupe

cash's90

Corvette
1990 Charcoal Metallic Coupe
Since I just recently purchased my car, I have not focused on my Bose system (UU8 option) as yet but, based on other threads, Bose appears to be much disliked. My CD is inop and my forward speakers appear to be very weak and some of them may not work at all. Since I do not have a diagram of the forward speaker locations, I've assumed that I have 4 in the forward compartment, 2 in the doors and 2 in the footwells. I've found the best method of getting at the ones in the doors (if indeed they are there) in this forum. The ones in the footwells are not covered. I've pulled gently at the covers but cannot find any hardware to remove to then remove the covers and speakers.
Guidance?
;help

your car should only have 4 speakers... two in the footwells, none on the doors. Do you see speaker covers on the doors? I assume someone could have added the extra speakers if there are covers on the doors...

I assume you want to get rid of the Bose (since it is a pile of @#$%)... Honestly, I would re-wire the whole stereo, it is time consuming, and a pain, but all it takes is some patience... If you go with a double din, it should fit in the hole in the dash, so it won't look strange. Also, I would recommend an external amp for the best sound quality.

As for getting to the front speakers, I believe you just pull up from the bottom and they come off, I haven't done it in a long time though.... someone else here will know for sure...

Why don't we like bose? first off, they all seem to break, secondly, Bose uses 1 ohm speakers, so the sound quality isn't good... (home stereo uses 6 or 8 ohms, typical car stereo is 4 ohms, the higher the ohm, the better the sound, but more power is needed, which is hard to provide in cars) If/when you decide what you want to do post again and more help can be provided... I am sure we can also help making a decision on a good stereo setup as well. No matter what you decide, good luck!

Biggest Hints for Stereo

First of all go to carstereohelp.com.
What a great site, it has pictures and schematics. I have been doing my 90 and it has a Kenwood 2016 unit. The amps on the Bose speakers were bypassed so the Kenwood goes directly to the speakers contacts with new wires, and the CD sounds great but the radio sounds like crap. The Kenwood being a 45x4 likes to heat up also. Thats because of the 4ohm versus the Bose 1ohm speakers. I am sure if someone dropped some decent speakers into my car I would replace them in a minute. Once I save up pennies I will replace the speakers. But for now I will mainly listen to my CD's and the Radio when I get bored.

Tunes for everybody,

Marathoner

the problem with carstereohelp.com is they want to sell you their service... (they do have good instructions for removal of the speakers and such, but that is so you can send it in to them) This website talks about how great the Bose system is, there are no negatives about sound quality for Bose... they don't mention the Bose system is only 1 ohm... buyer beware, they want to make money off of you.

You access the front speakers by removing the seal cover or what ever it is called, the thing that goes over the hump you have to crawl over to get into the car. The speaker covers are attached to it. Passanger side, just remove the screws on the outside. Driver side will have to remove the driver seat cushin to access the bolt that holds the parking brake cover.

tom...

Loook again.

Dear Cash,

If you look closer at the website I mentioned above you will find your removal instructions, really I promise. You have to look under the model of your car. Be patient before you become one.

Marathoner

The Bose system is awful when it 's not working properly.
The upside is no one will ever steal it.

If decide to repair it,try American Eagle in Georgia(mail order)

I had mine repaired and purchased all new speakers and amps for less than $500.00 and for another $200.00 I bought a Bazooka Bass Tube.The Bass Tube made an INCREDIBLE difference.It really sounds great.Plus I keep the SCV feature.

Here's a couple of links.
http://www.corvetteaudio.homestead.com/
http://soundrepair.com/

I don't have American Eagle handy or I would give that as well.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate the instructions at carstereohelp.com. Pictures always help.
:w

Has anyone tried to repair their Bose speaker amplifiers themselves?
If so, what are the typical points of failure - capacitors, resistors, power amplifiers, etc?
I was a USAF ET many many years ago and could probably repair my amplifiers if they are indeed repairable.
:upthumbs

Here is repair info site for BOSE speakers.

GO to corvetteforum.com and look under TECH TIPS then go to C4 RELATED TECH TIPS. You will find a few BOSE REPAIR posts. I think there are two CAPACITORS that need replacing on each AMP for each speaker. You can get them at Radio Schack.

Happy Repairs,

MARATHONER

Thank you for the responses. The "scotfab" site is very well done. I'll take a look at the other posts.
Cheers,
Gary
:cool

He did do a great job on a lot of it.
I wish he had been more informative on the actuators.I contacted him about a little more detailed information on them but he kinda blew me off.I guess he's too busy.But at least he replied.

I ended up getting mine from a "parts recycler"

I have the FX-3 suspension on my Vette.It consists of some special(read expensive)shock absorbers that can be adjusted for stiffness by a switch on the console,The actuators are like little motors that fit on top of the shocks to provide the adjustment for the ride.

You'll know if the amps are going. The output is low. First sign is clicking and popping. That is the capacitors going. If you continue to run it you'll probably blow the power amp(s). You'll know which one when you pull the amp out. It'll be the one that is molten crap on the motherboard and stuck to it.
If you get them before they get to that state you can replace the caps(2) and amps(2). You can find the caps at Radio Shack. I didn't have much luck finding the amps.
Graham

I pulled the left rear speaker, which was totally dead, and replaced all 10 caps (1 - 1.0 mfd, 1 - 4.7 mfd, 3 - 10.0 mfd, 2 - 47.0 mfd, & 2 - 1.0 k mfd) with 35 volt caps. It now works and sounds great. 3 speakers to go. I used the instructions you folks developed and referenced on this thread and they were invaluable.
The one tool that made a tremendous difference , after I struggled to remove the residual solder at the first cap, was a Radio Shack Desoldering Iron. It's a combination soldering iron and solder suction bulb. At under 10$ it is far superior to wicks or separate suction devices.
Thanks again.
:beer

38 capacitors later and all 4 speakers are working like champs. Permanent ear damage is possible at max volume.
Total parts cost was less than $35.
Thanks again for all of your help.
;worship

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom