Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bose

• Thread starter retiredjumpmaster
  • Start date
R

retiredjumpmaster

I am new to the forum, and just bought my first vette. I have always wanted a vette and said when I retired from the ARMY I would get one. It is a 1986 coupe. I hope to learn from reading the posts. And I will ask questions too. My radio played fine and then I was checking my fuses and pulled the radio fuse in the midst. When I went to start the car I got a loud horn like sound out of the rear speaker. Did I do something wrong by pulling the fuse? is there a antitheft device and is there a way to reset the radio so that I can use it again.

David

86 radio has no theft lock...antenna motor will generate sound output from radio when ign is first actuated and antenna raises if radio is switched ''on''...at full volume setting at radio, will ''sound off'' with malice...antenna lead-in sometimes falls out of jack on rear of radio causing lack of pleasing tones (will need to pull center instrument panel trim and pull radio part way out to check that)

pulling the fuse will not hurt the radio...i power up/ down these radios frequently on my test bench, with no thought to radio knob settings, never had any prob.

Thank you, the noise came on again when I tried to raise volume higher. Only coming from drivers side rear speaker. could be wiring or do you think the antenna jack may be loose. Then noise is like a humming horn sound. I can't afford another yet only had the car for couple of days.

David

Hi. It sounds like your aplifier is playing with you. I'm not sure regarding the 1986 but think each speaker have a built in amp. Try to open the cover and disconnect the speaker you have problems with and then try the radio. If everything works ok you have your problem solved. You can buy replacement or re-conditioned speakers from Eckler's and other Corvette stores.

Hope this helped.

Regards,
Steve

Try this site for troubleshooting your Bose system. http://www.carstereohelp.com/ It helped me out just for the removal and istallation. I opted to go with a aftermarket system. It was much cheaper, upgraded to CD player, sounds better (20+ years technology advancement sure makes a difference), and was very simple to install in my 86 vert. Any 6 by 9 speakers work in the back, I put 4 inch in the front doors which installed right in the Bose speaker boxes. I didn't cut any existing wires and ran new speaker wires so if I ever want to reinstall the original Bose system it would be a plug in installation. I put a Pioneer DEH-P47DH CD/AM/FM in. It's a 1.5 DIN stereo which fit the dash almost perfectly and used the original mounts from the old Bose. Everything works great (antenna control, etc). A snap to put in. Hardest part is the removal and installation of the speakers in the doors. Total time about 4 hours from start to finish. I even kept the Bose speaker covers on so the installation looks very professional and original.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom