Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bottom feeder cleaning

davec0_17

Corvette
1994 black 6 speed, cat back flowmasters
I took advantage of the mild weather yesterday to remove my fan shroud and clean my radiator. I used a small shark vaccum cleaner and compress air instead of water. I wouldnt have thought it was a four hour job, and with the A/c lines, I never did get the shroud all the way out. Those six screws by the frame rails are very challenging. I have the a/c button on all the time to keep engine temperature down with the fans running. Maybe now I won't have to.

father & son

vette1_15_6-02.jpg
when you cleaned out your raditor front, did you find my C4 hat? lost it last yr. on fall color tour.

davec0_17 said:
I took advantage of the mild weather yesterday to remove my fan shroud and clean my radiator. I used a small shark vaccum cleaner and compress air instead of water. I wouldnt have thought it was a four hour job, and with the A/c lines, I never did get the shroud all the way out. Those six screws by the frame rails are very challenging. I have the a/c button on all the time to keep engine temperature down with the fans running. Maybe now I won't have to.
When you removed the lower front shroud did you reverse the screws and clips? If you do the next time its an easy job or you can put a screen down there and fix the problen for good.
Works for me.

Thats a good idea, I'll rember it for next time. I'm still thinking of the 160 degree thermostat. I'll wait to drive it to see how much of a temperature difference the cleaning makes.

davec0_17 said:
Thats a good idea, I'll rember it for next time. I'm still thinking of the 160 degree thermostat. I'll wait to drive it to see how much of a temperature difference the cleaning makes.

Dont use a 160 use a 180deg. Too cold causes undue wear on engine. Actually for all around driving a 195 is best. Your coolant temp should be around 200 and toggle from 237 to around 195. The PCM controls the fans.
BTW best heat transfer is to use the lowest ratio A/F because A/F isnt a good conductor of heat water is. I live in Michigan and none of my Corvettes have lower than - 15 deg. freeze protection and i never overheat and that extracts the most heat in the summer.

How about disconecting the coolant flow thru the throttle body? I read its not really necessary, and robs horsepower in summer. Its not driven a whole lot in the winter.

Yes but you have to by-pass not plug it up because the steam vents are required.

I was wondering with the reverse flow coolant if pluging it would work. I see it won't. What are steam vents and how do I keep them functional?

davec0_17 said:
I was wondering with the reverse flow coolant if pluging it would work. I see it won't. What are steam vents and how do I keep them functional?

Steam vents are internal passages in the heads to allow very hot areas to vent and are sort of bleaders.
Ecklers,Mid America, and other Corvette suppliers have a kit to by-pass or you can take aluminum tubing (prefered) to make a by-pass. Just remove the hoses to the throttle body and join the two hoses.

redvett said:
Steam vents are internal passages in the heads to allow very hot areas to vent and are sort of bleaders.
Ecklers,Mid America, and other Corvette suppliers have a kit to by-pass or you can take aluminum tubing (prefered) to make a by-pass. Just remove the hoses to the throttle body and join the two hoses.
Thanks for heads up. Last thing I'd want to do is damage my LT1 instead of improving it.

I drove the Vette first time in almost 3 weeks. Put about 110 miles on it. I can't say I noticed noticed a temperature difference. Its hard to tell though, it was showing 43 outside degrees outside on my climate contol display. But I feel better have done something I know needed done. It didnt go over 197, untill the second shot at putting it backwards in the garage. then it went up to 203. Ive seen it go up to 235 in the summer.

I'm going to do the same thing to mine, starting tonight.... I heard the shroud can be a pita. So was there any debris in yours when got to it?

It wasn't real bad, but I could see how it could have restricted air flow. It's all looking like new now. It cleaned up real good.

Benefit?

I did this task last September before a trip to Arizona. There was crap in between the radiator and condenser coil a good 3 inches deep. paper, leaves, pine needles. I wasn't having problems; had just read that it was a good thing to do. The car did great on the trip but I don't know that it did better than it would have. I do know that I felt good knowing that it had been cleaned up! :upthumbs

Installing a 160 degree stat will not make your engine run one single degree cooler.

Not one.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom