Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bottoming out

Dime

Corvette
1991 White w/ red ZR-1
Alright fellas this is a question that probably can't be answered unless the person giving the answer has driven where I live but I'll give'er a shot.

I'm planning on getting a c4 (someday), and I worry about bottoming it out. The roads where I live aren't stellar, but they're not to horrible. I have seen a few vettes of different years (c3-c6) where I live so it must not be too bad.

How often if ever does your c4 bottom out, and can you give me an idea of how bad a bump, hump, crest, hill, etc. must be for it to happen?

Thanks in advance

Your roads cant be as bad as they are here in PA. I have drove mine to Ohio too, their roads are way worse than in PA. Never have bottomed out, the c4 suspension is typically stiff so even on the rough stuff, never had a problem. As long as you use common sense ie. slowing down for obvious things like railroad crossings, speed bumps. Never had a problem with dips, bumps, or the like in the road even at speed. Just use common sense and be careful in obviously rough/steep areas and you will be fine.

Heck, when I went to store my vette I was worried about catching the front spoiler on the ground and stuff, even though I had to OFF ROAD my C4 to get it into the barn and up the barn hill and stuff, went slow and drove smart, never had a problem at all.

Bottoming out???????? There's a huge group who insist on lowering their machines because it looks good and works well on the track, which most are never on. My 99 scrape's more than the 88 does..........

We've got a cottage at a lake that's down an unpaved road that I've bottomed out on a few times with my C4. I usually drive it like I stole it but on that road I go slow and try to keep it from happening as much as possible. Nothing bad has happened except one time the front spoiler got caught and came loose, but it was easily repaired by just screwing it back in.

I've never actually bottomed out on any real paved roads, even some in the city in pretty rough condition, except for the front spoiler hitting every once and a while.

So, it's not too much of a worry.

My 87 bottomed out a lot but after awhile I had the humps and bumps engraved in my memory bank :D clearances varied by different years of C4's . Great cars!

I had this problem sometimes on the downhill section of speedbumps, replaced the old worn Bilstein shocks and the problem is less frequent.

The car is quite low, and occasionally it will scrape if you're not careful. Lots of C4s have evidence of bottoming out, usually showing up on the drivers and passenger side floor pans. One of my c4s actually had a big hole in the floorboard. If you're shopping for c4s, this is not a difficult area to see, just lie down on your side and look and feel underneath the car right behind the front wheel.

First thing to hit the ground on a vert is the x-bar

Maybe once has my car ever bottomed out. It was a one time thing. The road dipped after a slight down hill grade. I wasn't exactly going slow. Speed bumps, definitely an issue.

Seriously... This is nothing to worry about. Just remember you're not driving a Jeep and you'll be okay.

Where are you at in Mississippi? I work in Mississippi and with the car lowered I haven't scraped bottom in mississippi yet (been working at Stennis since 06)...I had not problems with bottoming out when my corvette's suspension was stock. However , it looked like a lifted 4x4 and felt light at high speeds. Even though it had low mile I replaced all the bushings with polys and lowered it here's some stock pics
Before.jpg

DSC00359.jpg

With it lowered I've scraped every now and then over the last 5 years however, it feels so much better at speed.

DSC01380.jpg

but the underside still looks good...

Newconverter1.jpg

I will admitt that the the x brace has taken some abuse and has some scapes and gouges.

I live in Vicksburg, the roads aren't horrably, rough here and there, but not bad by any means. My worry is cresting over a hill, Vickburgs a hilly place.

What's usually the first thing to drag on a c4? Does the frame or any structural component run the risk of being dragged?

Because of side exhaust the jack points have been extended both have reduced clearance and yet the first thing to drag is the front spoiler. I did once however scrape a jack point leaving a Sonic that had a steep drive.

Just drove thru Vicksburg a month or so ago in my '88. No problems at all Even made a pass down by the Ameristar. No problems going down or back up.

Wayne

We've got a cottage at a lake that's down an unpaved road that I've bottomed out on a few times with my C4. I usually drive it like I stole it but on that road I go slow and try to keep it from happening as much as possible. Nothing bad has happened except one time the front spoiler got caught and came loose, but it was easily repaired by just screwing it back in.

I've never actually bottomed out on any real paved roads, even some in the city in pretty rough condition, except for the front spoiler hitting every once and a while.

So, it's not too much of a worry.

The answers to your questions are already in the posts in this thread. If you're driving on a normal road... No worries. Off of a paved road, driving up steep driveways or over speed bumps use common sense and approach at a reasonable speed. While driving the spoiler will usually drag first but it is flexible and easily replaceable. If you're really that concerned about the road conditions where you live maybe you should consider another vehicle instead of a Vette.

I live in Vicksburg, the roads aren't horrably, rough here and there, but not bad by any means. My worry is cresting over a hill, Vickburgs a hilly place.
Not as hilly as colorado springs and my lowered vert survived a couple of years there.......

Just drove thru Vicksburg a month or so ago in my '88. No problems at all Even made a pass down by the Ameristar. No problems going down or back up.

Wayne

This is what I was looking for. I was really worried about downtown by the river especially.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom