Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bouncing Gearshift and a Rattle in the Rear

R

RP96

A couple of years ago, I bought a used 1996 LT4 with about 8000 miles on it. A real nice car.

Two problems:

Whenever I would take off from a dead stop, the six speed shifter would bounce in direct proportion to what I did with the gas pedal. It bounced more in the lower gears than in the higher ones. I started looking around and discovered that the two 18mm bolts that secure the C channel/carrier to the back of the transmission were loose, ever so slighty, but still loose. I painstakenly tightened them and the problem went away.

I also had a rattle in the back whenever I made a turn and hit a bump, especially when making a right turn. It was real evident backing out of a driveway. I took it to a dealership and after a lot of work and time, the mechanic found a couple of loose bolts up above the spare tire.

Has anyone had similar experiences? Thanks

JT ZR-Won

Corvette
'90 ZR-1 #365 (SOLD...but Dad's got it now)
Welcome to the CAC:)

I've never had any of those problems. It's unusual that they would occur on a car with only 8K on the ticker. The only thing I can suggest is somehow getting the car on a lift, popping it in neutral & spin the tires and check U-joints and everything else.

Jay

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Win Both Corvettes!

Win Both Corvettes and Get Extra Bonus Tickets Now!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Dead Center Foundation

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Partners

Top Bottom