Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bowtie overdrives

T

tscott9330

Has anyone who has installed a bowtie overdrives 700r4 used the companies crossmember or did you just modify your old one? I want to know if it is worth the $200 or is if I should just suck it up and modify the stock crossmember.

If you did modify it, what was required? (i.e. move whole crossmember back or just move some holes)

also, any pics would be great

Thanks,
Tom

tscott9330 said:
Has anyone who has installed a bowtie overdrives 700r4 used the companies crossmember or did you just modify your old one? I want to know if it is worth the $200 or is if I should just suck it up and modify the stock crossmember.

If you did modify it, what was required? (i.e. move whole crossmember back or just move some holes)

also, any pics would be great

Thanks,
Tom

I did the Bowtie Overdrives swap. Worked awesome. I went with the "package deal" and bought the tranny, lock-up harness, and cross-member from them. I was pinched for time and I wanted to get everything from the same source.

My $.02- Suck it up if you can afford it. Frustration is awful and your time is priceless.

I did the swap on my '78 in 2002. Here is my site-
http://www.geocities.com/chiphihawk

DarkShark78 said:
I did the Bowtie Overdrives swap. Worked awesome. I went with the "package deal" and bought the tranny, lock-up harness, and cross-member from them. I was pinched for time and I wanted to get everything from the same source.

My $.02- Suck it up if you can afford it. Frustration is awful and your time is priceless.

I did the swap on my '78 in 2002. Here is my site-
http://www.geocities.com/chiphihawk[/quote]
Yeah, what he said.

Considering changeout to a 700r4, but dont know where to start. Where are these "Bowtie Conversion Kits" sold? Web site?
DMH

Thanks for the website, some day I'll get my son to show me how to search for stuff on the internet.
DMH

I am going with a 700R-4 in my '77 and I just bought a crossmember from an '82 from Contemporary Corvettes. It was $200.00 also. From what I'm told, either way will work.

Also consider Phoenix Transmissions in Weathorford Tx. I purchsed a 700r for my Wife's 70 GTO from them and this took some changes to the car. I can't say enough about how great they were to work with. They built the trans specificly for my car after asking questions about my needs and other modifications to the car. They were also very helpful with questions during the install.

Art Jett said:
I am going with a 700R-4 in my '77 and I just bought a crossmember from an '82 from Contemporary Corvettes. It was $200.00 also. From what I'm told, either way will work.

It should work fine. The only difference is exhaust provisions. The tubular cross member offers a little more clearance.

I was asked to post some pics of my project. I'll try. Here goes.img]http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/wegone//Art77/art77001.jpg[/img]

art77002.jpg

art77004.jpg

art77005.jpg

art77006.jpg

art77007.jpg

I'm going with a chambered system from Mid America. They told me that if I buy the one for an '82, it will fit perfectly w/ the '82 crossmember in my '77.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom