Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brake Bleeding Question and Speed Bleeders

Docmacs'77

Corvette
1977 Black Coupe
I read several posts about Speed Bleeders and that a lot of guys use them - they say it makes it real easy to bleed the brakes. I'm trying to bleed mine on my '77 now and tried using a Mity Vac vacuum pump but the little black adapter is pretty crappy in that it keeps wanting to come off the nipple. Am interested in the Speed Bleeders and saw on Summit that they're 9.88/pair. My question, how many (or how many pairs) would I need to buy? The rear calipers have 2 nipples (zerk fittings) on the outside - 1 facing the front, 1 facing the rear, and then 1 on the inside. When bleeding, don't I need to bleed all three on each rear caliper? Would that mean I would need 6 pairs just for the back, plus 1 pair for the 2 front? I've been bleeding all three on each rear caliper. That's right, right? Also, I've read posts about Motive Products Power Bleeder. Any opinion on whats the best? Thanks, Marc.

I have a motive power bleeder,great product and makes easey work of bleeding a brake system and also helps you find a leak. the biggest problems with using the power bleeder is you must take your time installing the adapter to the master cylender.It must be a pefectly square seal.

Yes you can still bleed by gravity,the old pump method,or speed bleeders.But this power bleeding system when used correctly is very simple,fast,and effective

Good luck

I have helped alot of folks with bleeding there brakes and when they tell me they used the vacum bleeder and could never get good brakes the first thing I suggest is they have a leak on a line.Most will say NOPE no leaks,once we get the power bleeder on we normally find the leaks they did not realize they had.

If your not going to get the power bleeder I would suggest bench bleeding the master. then gravity bleeding the furthest line,then work your way foward. Once you getting fluid out of all of the ports then go back and do the pump method.

Definately, WHAT HE SAID smiley. Get the motive bleeder. Stop jerking around like we did in the past with getting a helper when you bleed the brakes or when we spend the whole day gravity bleeding. I had brake issued with my '69 last month and had the master cylinder off a few times and had the calipers apart. I had to bleed the brakes about 4 times because of changes in the braking system that I made. The motive bleeder made easy and fast work out of a situation that otherwise would have taken forever with manual bleeding. It will be the best money you've spent. Careful about attaching the adapter to the top of the master cylinder. I thought the top was on in one instance and a qt. of silicone fluid ended up on the garage floor. Ck prior threads on the Motive and use a C clamp on the master and make sure the adapter is properly centered.

hook a clear rubber hose (aquarium, fish tank tubing) to the bleeder put the other end in a clear glass bottle filled with fluid.......once the hose is in the bottle, open the bleeder and pump away....keep on going around the car until you get a good pedal...this is how I did my 73 and now I know the answer to a big C3 owners question....

YES C3'S CAN HAVE GOOD BRAKES WITHA SOLID PEDAL!!!!!

Thanks IH2LOSE, and you too Twinray and Waterboy. Thanks for the ideas. Now I'm really leaning toward the Power Bleeder. Guess I'll head to the Motive website and order one now. Really gettin' tired of messin' with the brakes. One more thing - last night when I was using the vacuum pump on the drivers side rear caliper, with the hose connected to the front nipple (outside), it seemed like I was getting gobs of air. I closed the fitting when the vacuum container got up to about 2 oz worth (while holding the adapter hard over the fitting with my thumb), but I just kept getting fluid and air, as long as I pumped. Is it possible that the fitting is leaking? or maybe around the threads? If thats the case, then I probably need to get new fittings - maybe put some teflon tape around the threads. Is this a good idea, or would it be better to go ahead and install Speed Bleeders instead? Any suggestions? Thanks, Marc.

What did you do to the system that you want to bleed it ,What did you change.The majority of the time the vacum doesnt work its because of a leak.

the power bleeder will find it once your under pressure

IH2LOSE said:
What did you do to the system that you want to bleed it ,What did you change.The majority of the time the vacum doesnt work its because of a leak.

the power bleeder will find it once your under pressure

Replaced all the calipers.

Not sure about a C3's calipers but on my C2 I have these steel lines.One of mine was leaking from an overtightened fitting (done by me) that needed a rel=placement steel line. I would just double check those fittings if you have them.

The MitiVac unit Sucks. Sucks air that is from the threads of the bleeders. I went thru that phase before I got the Motive bleeder. That is why the pushing effect of the Motive is better than the sucking of the MitiVac. The Miti isn't really cheap in the $30 range. I bought the Motive with 3 adapters so I can use it on all my vehicles. But I'm a big shooter anyway:L

Docmac,

Mityvac's won't work on 4 piston calipers. It will draw air forever. There should only be 2 bleeders on the rear calipers at the top. The bleeder at the bottom pointing downward should be a plug. Don't open it while bleeding the brakes.
The pressure bleeder is the best way to bleed the brakes. Due to the design and angle of the master cylinder it is common to get air trapped in it. After you hook up the pressure bleeder jack the rear of the vette up until the master is level with the ground. This will push the air out. Bleed RR. LR, RF, LF in this order. Be sure to have all the pressure released before removing the pressure bleeder from the master.

Mike

Mike, 10-4 on the pressure bleeder, but you stated: "There should only be 2 bleeders on the rear calipers at the top. The bleeder at the bottom pointing downward should be a plug." Here's a pic of my right rear showing the 2 zerk fittings, one in front, one in the rear. I bought these at Oreillys - OE calipers for the Vette (mine's a '77). If this is right, do I bleed both of these? (plus the inside one of course)
Marc.
attachment.php

The bottom bleeder in your pic is what should be a plug. By bleeding this one you are just draining fluid out of the system. Just make sure this one does not leak and leave it alone.

Eddie 70 said:
The bottom bleeder in your pic is what should be a plug. By bleeding this one you are just draining fluid out of the system. Just make sure this one does not leak and leave it alone.

Thanks Eddie, but I already tried to bleed it with the Mity Vac. I won't mess with it again.
Thanks, Marc.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom