Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brake Dust

alan ream

Corvette
2004 Red Z06
I just became the proud owner of a 2004 red ZO6. This is one great car.
My problem is this. It only takes about 2-3 days before the front wheels (chrome) begin getting covered in brake dust. Since the car only had 6,200 miles when I bought it, I assume that the brake pads are original.

Are there any brake pad manufacturers that have pads that don't generate this problem. Or, am I doomed to clean my wheels every 3rd day.

I had the same problem with my 2003 Z06, which was bought brand new. I had always heard that it was typical for that model.

Ya there is. Ck with Mid America or Ecklers Catalog. There is a break or rotor cover and they make ceramic or metalic brake pads and they are quite easy to change(the pads that is).

alan ream said:
My problem is this. It only takes about 2-3 days before the front wheels (chrome) begin getting covered in brake dust. Since the car only had 6,200 miles when I bought it, I assume that the brake pads are original.

Are there any brake pad manufacturers that have pads that don't generate this problem. Or, am I doomed to clean my wheels every 3rd day.
GM ceramic pads leave less dust. i just blow mine off the compressed air every time i pull into the garage. i do not have the ceramic pads.

Great braking is achieved through 'sacrificial materials', which results in dust. Harder pads may eliminate some dust but will wear the rotors faster. Shields may block the dust but may also inhibit airflow which cools the brakes.I use a duster to swab the dust. I love my cars to look perfect but also love to drive them. I can't seem to figure out how to keep them in show condiditon and still drive around.

Don't the 'sawblades' mount the 'right way' to aid airflow across the brakes and reduce the dusting?
:w

alan ream said:
Or, am I doomed to clean my wheels every 3rd day.
That's pretty much been my conclusion, short of changing to harder pads.

Sometimes in traffic I see other drivers checking out the car. As they look down at the wheels while I cringe, knowing that they're probably noticing the break dust before they notice those cool red calipers.

Tammy

alan ream said:

Invest in some ceramic brake pads. They are expensive, but will solve this problem. I have experienced a HUGE decrease in "wheel dusting" since I switched over.

Now if I could just figure out how to make the rear tires last longer I would be all set.... :D

I put ceramic pads from Kragen on mine about a month ago, dusting is much less. Put about 300 miles on it yesterday, no dust. The sawblades suck the air out from under the car, they don't help the dust problem at all!:w

Help me out, what are sawblades?

Tammy is right! I thought I had posted my sig picture, but see i didn't. I'll try a different way.
sig1.jpg

Alan welcome to our world of cleaning those wheels.............................;LOL
You thought owning the car was going to be fun didn't you? ;LOL
You will get zo6 wheels, "cleaners elbow"..........;LOL

Only kidding Alan!

Those pads make noise too...........................:cry !

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom