Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Brake Fluid Level on 1981?

johns81

Corvette
1981 Beige/bronze
This weekend I was checking all of the fluid levels in the 81 and they were all looking good. However, one thing looks suspicious to me and I would like some information. The master cylinder has 2 reservoirs and one was full and the other was empty. Is this the way they should be, or can I just add fluid to the empty one or, is there another problem? The brakes feel as strong as they ever have. ;shrug

:eek

There should be fluid in both reservoirs... One is for the front brakes and the other for the back brakes..

I would get some DOT 3 brake fluid and fill the empty reservoir... then bleed them starting from with the passenger back then to the drivers back, then the passengers front, and last the drivers front..

OR minimum,
if it is the back reservoir bleed the back brakes, and pay special attention to what the fluid looks like..

My experience.. only a couple of ways the fluid level changes...
  • Leak
  • Worn brake pads

I would consider this a very serious condition and would address it immediately!!

Bud

:eek

There should be fluid in both reservoirs... One is for the front brakes and the other for the back brakes..

I would get some DOT 3 brake fluid and fill the empty reservoir... then bleed them starting from with the passenger back then to the drivers back, then the passengers front, and last the drivers front..

OR minimum,
if it is the back reservoir bleed the back brakes, and pay special attention to what the fluid looks like..

My experience.. only a couple of ways the fluid level changes...
  • Leak
  • Worn brake pads
I would consider this a very serious condition and would address it immediately!!

Bud
I agree!!But would add that if it is the back reservoir check the weep hole in the bottom of the master!!Master cylinder may be going bad!!:upthumbs

Thanks guys!! I will take care of this today.
THE CORVETTE ACTION CENTER ROCKS!!

I'm pretty sure the back resevoir is for the front brakes. I would check the inside of your front (and rear) tires for wetness from leaking wheel cylinders. Pretty common with these brakes.

It is a little strange because I did look at the inside of the tires wells and there is no wetness. There is nothing on the garage floor either. Anyway, I will have it fixed.

You obviously have a fluid leak somewhere. I believe I would pull the wheels and take another look. Also check the bottom and rear of the master cylinder for evidence of brake fluid.

:)

The back reservoir is for the rear brakes. (well it is on my 81). Over the last two years, I have the calipers blow out. First the front, and then the back. Wen that happens, change 'em or rebuild 'em. Don't just do one. Do the set.
Brake fluid dries rather quickly. (not like motor oil) so you may not see any 'wetness'. What you may see is dirt or brake dust that has clung to it when it was wet.
Hey, hope this helps.
Want to find out, fill that back reservoir and start pumping. It'll come out somewhere!

Well I did have a brake leak on the passenger rear caliper. The really good news is that the calipers have a lifetime warranty on them. Did not know that. I put 4 new ones on in 2006 and they promptly sent replacements for the rear. Thanks!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom