Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brake hoses bulging!!!

NOAGGE

Corvette
1996 COLLECTORS EDITION LT1
After other comments on this problem, I think I found that my front brake hoses do bulge out 1/8 to 1/4 inch when given pedal. I didn't realize this could happen. I am dealing with this on my 96 with 40k miles. I assume this is pretty good life on a brake ssystem. Since I have decided to get new brake lines and have a pro do the work, assuming that much movement means soft pedal. What else would be recommended that I take care of? Would I be prudent in doing a new master cylinder also? Thanks for your replies. Ron G..

Brake Hoses

Hello Ron;

Rubber doesn't last forever and it sounds like yours are due for a hasty replacement. Hoses shouldn't bulge otherwise they could blow and usually when you needed them the most.

As this has happened over time, you may have come to accept any pedal travel as normal as it slowly grew.

If everything seems to be working fine otherwise, I don't think I'd replace the master cylinder just yet.

Hello Ron;

Rubber doesn't last forever and it sounds like yours are due for a hasty replacement. Hoses shouldn't bulge otherwise they could blow and usually when you needed them the most.

As this has happened over time, you may have come to accept any pedal travel as normal as it slowly grew.

If everything seems to be working fine otherwise, I don't think I'd replace the master cylinder just yet.

Thanks for the info I'm on it this week..............Ron

I have noticed brake hoses flexing under pressure. How much, I couldn't say, but I would think that the older they get the harder they would be and the less flex you would see. Having said that, 16 years is a pretty long time and I wouldn't recommend against changing them, but my 01, which has seen a lot of autocross and track time duty still has the original brake hoses on it and I haven't had a problem. I think I'm on my fourth set of rotors and probably thousands of dollars for pads, but no hoses.

I would change all 4 hoses. My '92 had 32K and in '05 my front hoses failed internally. At hard braking at a light they did not relieve the pressure to the brakes and they locked up. I had to pull off the road and let the pressure slowly ease off until they released the brakes. I drove home barely touching the brake pedal to prevent from happening again. Once in the garage I did not drive it again until I put new hoses on all 4 corners.

I would change all 4 hoses. My '92 had 32K and in '05 my front hoses failed internally. At hard braking at a light they did not relieve the pressure to the brakes and they locked up. I had to pull off the road and let the pressure slowly ease off until they released the brakes. I drove home barely touching the brake pedal to prevent from happening again. Once in the garage I did not drive it again until I put new hoses on all 4 corners.

Thank yall very much for the info!!!

Ron....

Update on my 1996 C4 brakes...............

After going to get my new brake lines put on today after expecting the hoses were bulging a bit it seems the real problem is a faulty brake pressure modulator valve...OOOOPs..My Corvette mechanic Chevy dealer said these were known to go out or as he said the valves get stuck...Good news I have front brakes but there is little or no flow to the rear brakes..He checked it out by disconnecting the lines from the master cylinder...I would like your input..Of course it would be the the most expensive part around and I am having trouble finding any kind of purchase info..Any and all input would be greatly appreciated......

Thanks Sincerely, Ron G.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom