Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brake issue-pulling

kmckenzi

Corvette
1981 Silver/Blue Coup
81 Vette, everything still original, 68K miles. Got in the car yesterday and driving down the road the car pulls right. When I hit the brakes, pulls to the left.

Put the front of the car up on jacks, both wheels spin ok, though the left might grab a little.

Hoses look good. Pulled the pads from the left, they look ok (replaced all pads about 5 mos ago). Rotor doesn't look too bad..no gouges or anything.
When I turn the hub, I don't see the pads moving in and out...possible bad caliper (original) with stuck pistons?

81 Vette, everything still original, 68K miles. Got in the car yesterday and driving down the road the car pulls right. When I hit the brakes, pulls to the left.

Put the front of the car up on jacks, both wheels spin ok, though the left might grab a little.

Hoses look good. Pulled the pads from the left, they look ok (replaced all pads about 5 mos ago). Rotor doesn't look too bad..no gouges or anything.
When I turn the hub, I don't see the pads moving in and out...possible bad caliper (original) with stuck pistons?

Check your tire pressure
Right front caliper
Front end Alignment

Others may have more choices to help you out.

Have someone sit in the car while it is running.....Turn the wheels so you can see the rubber hose running to the caliper from the hard line. Have them pump the brakes and watch the hose to see if it expands....

Front end alignment and RF caliper and hose. The hose may look fine on the outside but you may have a constriction inside the hose. The hoses are pretty inexpensive so it would probably be a good idea to replace the hose along with a brake caliper.

If the calipers are OEM its time for new stainless all the way around. Frozen pistons most likely.

Thanks for the help. I'll check the hoses and see if fluid is getting thru. I'd like to replace calipers/hoses/rotors but don't have the $800 to do it. If I can nail the exact problem down, won't have to spend to much I hope.

Thanks for the help. I'll check the hoses and see if fluid is getting thru. I'd like to replace calipers/hoses/rotors but don't have the $800 to do it. If I can nail the exact problem down, won't have to spend to much I hope.

I have been buying calipers from Muskegon Brake for 27 years and they are great to work with and there prices are reasonable.
http://www.gnetworks.com/v4/go.gnf?...oduct=11015&n=default&d=products&listTemplate=
If your not going to replace the mastercylinder dont use silicone brake fluid its to compatable with standard fluid. Rubber components will hold some of the fluid and turn the silicone to jelly.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom