Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brake pads for C5 Z06 - squeaking problem

eboch

Corvette
2005 C6 Z51, 2003 C5 Z06, 1987 C4 conv
My Z06 has an annoying sqeaking brake problem. I've dismantled the pads a few times .... adjusted the tin shims so that they apply more pressure to the pads ..... but the sqeaking continues to be there.

I'm thinking now that the problem is just the type of pads I have on there. Has anyone had this problem? ..... and then fixed it with new pads? ....what kind of pads did the trick?

Thanks
eboch

PS: I have replaced the stock rotors with slotted & drilled ones .... the squeaking was/is there on both rotor types. The rotor change didn't help the sqeak ..... but did improve braking performance.

....did 10 or 20 cycles of heaving start-to-almost-stop breaking to try and bed in the brakes. Didn't seem to help. However, a heavy day racing at the track did completely get rid of barke noise. I assume this is was just a case of thorough bedding in the brakes & rotors.

what pads are you running?

A street pad will typically be quieter than a track pad.

... not sure what I'm running for pads ....they were on the car when I bought it. I can tell you that on the track, the brakes on this C5 Z06 certainly outperformed the brakes on my C6 Z51 (it has stock calipers and pads) on the same race track.

race pads will be noisy on the street.

The stock z06 pad is remarkably quiet, but track performance, imho, is marginal.

Recently did an UG on my 02Z handling/braking:

C6 Z06 Shocks
Centric Slot rotors
Hawk HPS pads
Goodridge SS Lines
Dorman Speed Bleeders

Handles & stops WAY better.

\db2
carolina

It could have been a bedding problem or it could be harmonics from the pads vibrating in the calipers. Most brake pads come with a small tube of pinkish red grease for you to apply to the back of the pads. It dampens the vibration and prevents harmonic squealing.

eboch, I believe the stock pads on the Z06 are semi-metallic which I've been told can cause squeaking. The brakes on my Z06 do the same thing. The Hawk HPS pads are a carbon compound that do not use metallic materials so maybe that will stop the squeaking.

I only have 30k miles on my Z06 and the original pads still have at least 3/4ths their original thickness so I haven't replaced them. The squeaking is annoying so replacement may be forthcoming. :rotfl

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom