Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brake Pads

mgdim

Is there any way to get aftermarket brake pads quickly? Do any of the national parts stores carry Hawk or Akebono or a performance brand like them? I have an appt. to get my brakes done on Wed and just found out my dealer wants $400 just for the parts. Appears to be double the price of aftermarket performance pads.

Is there any way to get aftermarket brake pads quickly? Do any of the national parts stores carry Hawk or Akebono or a performance brand like them? I have an appt. to get my brakes done on Wed and just found out my dealer wants $400 just for the parts. Appears to be double the price of aftermarket performance pads.

I would reschedule and get what you want & have a local independent put them on.:thumb

HI there,
Your not specifying year, model, braking system.
This meaning, J55, J56, Z51, coupe convertible or ZO6??
Brake pad pricing is variable, and is this only the front or the rear or both?
Allthebest, c4c5

Thanks
I have a 2005 Z51 Coupe, about 66k miles. I believe that equates to the J55 build. I need pads all around. I have been looking at the Hawk Ceramics, which run about $200 on the internet while the oem pads are $400. I understand the Hawk pads are excellent although ceramics are famous for wearing out the rotors.

If you don't race the car or regularly drive hard on the street, think twice about aftermarket, performance brake pads.

Depending on how aggressive the pads are they can:
1) Wear brake discs more quickly
2) Increase dust
3) Make noise---squeaks or squeals.
4) Not work well when the brakes are cold.

I'm not saying that all performance pads will offer those compromises but you risk any of those when you use a performance pad in a normal street driving duty cycle.

hi there
Is brake dust, brake noise or either an issue?

Are you using factory rotors or aftermarket?

Can the rotors be machined?

The key behind Z51/J55 braking system is that the pads from the factory have a high ceramic content, that is why the rotors always wear on them.

Factory pads 19152862 front and 89026853 for the J55 are about $400 list
ACDelco durastop 88909667 and19169649 are about $230 list.

That being said, there is NEVER a perfect pad, however, the GM OEM give the BEST all around performance.
ACDelco is a close second if you want to lower the price but still NOT really good cold.
Allthebest, c4c5

I have to say, I really appreciate the help I get from everyone on the Center.
I originally was thinking about Ceramics to lower the dust but I heard the stopping performance wasn't as good. I had decided to go with the oem pads until I saw the cost. With the labor, over $700 for a new set of pads seems ridiculous. This is my daily driver, all original baby. I drive pretty hard but haven't had it on the track yet. I just ordered the Hawk Ceramics from TireRack and should get them next week. $200 including delivery.

Are you going to install them yourself?

Where I live, no shop in town will install any parts you bring in. They claim there is too much liability. Probably that and they can't mark them up.

On every car I (and my family) has ever owned, we do our own brake pads, but I've never owned a C5.

good luck!

Was considering doing it myself but all the delaers insist the rotors should be cut with every pad change. Not so sure but they have agreed to install aftermarket pads.

all the delaers insist the rotors should be cut with every pad change.

That may be the 'smart' play especially if the dealer or any installer has to deal with liability issues. If you do the pads yourself and you think the rotors are okay, it's your call. I've done that a few times without any problem. (not with my C6's yet however)

Brakes

I found a source of parts for my C5 and C6 Zs.

I'm really close to doing my brakes and was rocked back when I made the dealer inquirey as to a complete front and rear job. I normally do pads only on new rotors and then do rotors (front), every other pad change.

A few years back a post on another forum turned me on to this aftermarket and OEM parts source. Based on the dealer prices that I checked , I can get what I want for about half from them. I've been a satisfied customer ever since and have saved a ton of money in the hard parts, even though they are on the east coast.

I know they are not a sponsor so if your interested, send me a pm.

Bill

if this is my first replacement of pads and I haven't driven it to the ends of the pads, do I really need to cut the rotors?

Just be happy you don't have a ZR1! Those rotors aren't measured for wear, they're weighed!:W

if this is my first replacement of pads and I haven't driven it to the ends of the pads, do I really need to cut the rotors?

If you decide to go with a pad of different composition (ie, factory to ceramic), I'd either cut the rotor or put new rotors on. It will make bedding your new pads easier.

If you decide to keep the factory pads, and the rotors are still good, I'd leave them alone.

Had everything done at the dealer. $500 charge to replace all 4 and cut all the rotors. Seemed high since i got the hawk pads myself. Car definetely doesn't stop as well!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom