Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brake pads

Bioscache2

Corvette
2001 Blk Coupe
So I got these new brake pads put on over the summer at the recommendation of my mechanic (who did great work by the way, Corvettes of Westchester up in NY) and they worked great but it appears that the back pads are worn already. I hear the chreeching of the wear indicators on both sides and it doesn't look like there is much pad left. I forget the name of them but I remember himsayin Hawk and the compund was two levels above the oem pads. I did some driving but no more then 4000-4500 miles top since then. What in the world could make them wear so fast. Was it the pad or something else?

Also, since we're on the topic does anyone have any recommendations for a good pad? I don't autocross it or anything but I would like something a little better then stock. Also as of right now I have the stock rotors so nothing that would generate too much heat for them, thanks.

More grip than stock almost always means more wear and brake dust than stock. Since the stockers can lock up the wheels anytime (subject to ABS, of course), anything else on the street seems like overkill.

i just installed ac delco ceramics from gm parts direct. so far i like em.been 2 weeks.
jeff

How about factory Z06 pads?
Z06 pads are only different on the front. The rears are exactly the same as the base car.
That said mine lasted 50,000 mi (track days included) if yours are shot in 5,000 it is due to one of two things 1, too soft a compound 2. stability control or traction control over using the rear brakes (driving really hard ). stock brakes should be fine unless you are seriously into road racing (on the track)

Z06 pads are only different on the front. The rears are exactly the same as the base car.
That said mine lasted 50,000 mi (track days included) if yours are shot in 5,000 it is due to one of two things 1, too soft a compound 2. stability control or traction control over using the rear brakes (driving really hard ). stock brakes should be fine unless you are seriously into road racing (on the track)

Base and Z06 rear pads do not share the same part number; are you sure compound materials are the same?

Well Thats what I had last year when I bough them (rear pads)
and thats what The Gm brake Guy told me at Carlisle So either they changed or the number is specific (so they can charge more?)

Rear pad p/n's:

Base: 12530688
Z06: 88964095

Ryan - Does one side have more wear than the other?

Rear pad p/n's:

Does one side have more wear than the other?

Now hear is what I found 97-02 are all the same #12530688 as you said
may be they changed for 03 & up I'll look a little farther
well it does look like there is a new number the 88 number is good for all years and the 125 number is listed for 97-02 in the parts book
I can't say what the difference is other than price
the originallists for $97 the new number lists for $120

Rear pad p/n's:

Ryan - Does one side have more wear than the other?
Left to right looks comparable but the rears are worn while the front are not. Also I can't even think of a time I've had the traction control or handling system activate in that time period. Thanks for the help.

If you aren't tracking the car, 5000 miles is ridiculously low for a set of pads.

Are you sure the noise is coming for the indicators and not from the pads themselves?

Also, if you are running the Hawk HP plus pads, they tend to dust quite a bit.

Did you notice the rear wheels were dirtier than the fronts?

actually, after looking at thepads again, this time in better light, they don't look that worn to me. I have a 1/2 inch of material all around left and the wheels do get dirtier then normal but about the same front versus rear. Any quick fixes I can do since I no longer think its the wear indicators?

That's good news, Ryan. 1/2" of materal sounds like where new pads should be.

For the noise, I use anti-squeal lube on the backs of the pad plates and the brake pad retainers where metal-to-metal contact may occur.

I also bed new pads by doing a series of stops from 60 to 10 mph.

If you are running the HP plus pads, it is normal for these pads to squeal occasionally under normal, non-track driving conditions.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom