Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brake pedal softens while braking.

iamfine2

Corvette
Ok guys,
Here is my latest. The brakes on my 1981 work well, but the brake pedal goes soft during braking and sinks until the brake warning light comes on.
In park I can pump up the pedal again to a firm feel and the brake warning light goes out.
Master cylinder or power booster?

Ok guys,
Here is my latest. The brakes on my 1981 work well, but the brake pedal goes soft during braking and sinks until the brake warning light comes on.
In park I can pump up the pedal again to a firm feel and the brake warning light goes out.

air in the brake lines... bleeding is a temp fix

Look for leaks around the pistons in the calipers.. tell tale signs around the wheels .... if you still have stock calipers its a good bet they are now sucking air in as you use them.... you can rebuild them or just get rebuilts with the stainless steel O Rings...

I just did mine .. went through the flintstone brake thing last season!

Ok guys,

Sounds like a master cylinder problem. They're an easy replacement.

if its not the calipers then check the cylinder.. though usually when that goes it just goes and its not gradual

Almost certainly not the booster; they seldom fail. Check calipers, mastery cylinder, and hoses.

Regardless of the cause, you have a brake system problem. Be careful driving the car.

:)

Almost certainly not the booster; they seldom fail. Check calipers, mastery cylinder, and hoses.

Regardless of the cause, you have a brake system problem. Be careful driving the car.

:)

i see you and I agree mike!

the seals in the calipers are notorius.. about time too based upon age

I had a soft pedal on my '72, no leaks anywhere. Bled the system and it was good for a couple of hours then gradually got soft again. Turned out the master cylinder was bad.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom