Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brake question

titan81

Corvette
1981 Silver
Hey guys an gals,

Got a quick ? about the brake system n the 81.
The pedal was real soft and low, 1st res was low in master cynlder
so i filled it, no leaks though. Pedal is better but still slushes to floor
and the Emergency brake light comes on?
Do I need to try and bleed them?
I a thinking air is the cause?

thank you

Same thing happened when my Master Cylinder went out. Have you recently replaced it?? If so, then could be warped rotors letting air in.

-Tatortot

only had the car a year.
Brakes look like NEW?
I was just shocked one day it just started to be slushy and sponge feel with
the pedal? So you think the master cylinder may be going?
thanks for the fast reply

Yeah, that is exactly what happened to me. Bought the car, looked great, drove it around for a while then the brake light came on, and pedal felt like it had no resistance (slushy, went to the floor). Brought it in, and needed a new master cylinder. Not a big or expensive job so I understand, that is unless you don't need your complete front suspension rebuilt at the same time (like I did)!
-Tatortot

P.S.- If you are doing this yourself, always make sure to bleed the brakes!!

make sure the rubber hoses and calipars are in good shape. my pedal was soft as well. after replacing front calipars and hoses all around, it now brakes like a champ.

here was my culprit. leaky pistons

000_0007.jpg

Just got my "Mistress of Money" out of the shop late yesterday afternoon. Replaced the brake hoses with braided stainless steel hoses as the original rubber hoses were breaking down.Small bits of rubber caused the master cylinder to fail. Also replaced two steel brake lines leaking at the calipers.
With a 25 year old car, age and heat will be working on the brake hoses.

I had similar caliper brake issues in the past, have since went with Auto Zone life time warranty loaded calipers on both fronts. Right front developed leak after a few months; they replaced it with no questions. Another good performer is Mid America which I have had installed on the both rear for several years and no problem to date. The Mid America caliper are stainless, web is www.madirect.com, down side is waiting for delivery and returning the cores.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom