Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brake system upgrade???

Mike Webb

Corvette
1965 Arrest-me-Red Stingray Coupe
Well I rolled the 65 out of the garage yesterday to clean it up, and almost had a heart attack, when it started to roll down the driveway, and wouldn't stop...looks like the Master Cylinder is shot. Before diving in to this, has anyone had experience with upgraded/after market brake products???

Mike

Why do you feel it needs to be "upgraded"? The factory 4-piston disc system is extremely effective and is still competitive technology today, unless you're going to road-race the car.

:beer

Brakes...

I was toying with the idea of replacing the old Master Cylinder with one that would provide redundancy as in later models. I would probably not replace the Calipers as they were recently rebuilt (prior to me obtaining the car). I will replace the flex lines with some SS Braided items, as I am seeing some of the "slow return" mentioned in other brake related posts...
Thanks for the response and your time...:beer

Mike,
I upgraded my 65 Vert to a 67 dual master cylinder. I bought the master cylinder from Corvette Stainless Steel Brakes (CSSB) and it was a bolt on as far as attaching it to the car. Plumbing it in to the brake system was a bit more challenging but I think Eklers and CSSB both make a line kit with the right stuff in it. I sure like having the system split. I was driving a friend's 69 and it blew a rear caliper. Most definately a difference in braking but I could still get it stopped. If that had happend in my 65, it would not have been pretty.

The guys on the Forum helped me thru the conversion to the dual master cylinder severakl months back. On a '65 the upper bolts on the vac assist wind up in the air vent and below the grill for same. I used some 12 gauge steel strapping to back it up as it is thru the fiberglass. Other than the difficulty in getting the new brake line fished in thru the frame as it goes to the drivers rear wheel area, it was not that difficult. No proportioning valve was necessary and it now will stop on the proverbial "dime". I have to conscioussly remembe that the power booster is there or i would wind up against the windshield. She really really comes to a halt in a hurry!!

:upthumbs

Brakes

That was my thought. As long as I have to r&r the Master Cyl. ( and since this is NOT a numbers car) this might be a good time to improve the braking, for a modest investment...

Mike

Well my "investment" was a tad more than modest since I opted for a chromed MC and Vac booster! I obviously was chrome deprived as a youngster!! LOL.

:rotfl

adding power...

Was your setup power originally?? Mine is not, but I was thinking of adding the power assist...

Was your setup power originally?? Mine is not, but I was thinking of adding the power assist...

I dont think its much more work or or exspence to go to add the power booster,

Mine as way go all the way

'65 with disk brakes all around was not a power assisted system originally. The vac assist tank as I said earlier attached it's two upper legs via bolts thru the firewall and into the area just under the fresh air grill. I backed it up with a piece of strap steel. It wasn't much extra work and sure allows the car to stop very quickly.. :upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom