Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Brake UPGRADE:

401KVet

Corvette
1980 L82 Coupe, Black
Has anyone ever done this type of Brake upgrade on their C3? I am wondering if all of the cost would be justified. I would have to spend money not only for the brakes, but also on a new set of mags and tires.
What I have now is 15x8's and with the upgrade you have to go with 17x9's or bigger.
That could mean another $1800.00 or so for tires and rims. The upgrade cost $1599.99. So anybody done it?
This is the link for the upgrade.
Vette Brakes and Products | C5 Bolt-on Brake Upgrade Kit For C2 & C3 1965-82 | Brake, Front, Kit
Thanks, :w

Your link doesn't work.

What's wrong with your existing brakes that would make the C5 units an 'upgrade' vs. 'wallet drainer'?

Sorry for the link not working. ????
If anyone wants to look at the upgrade kit, just google Vette Brakes and you can find it from there.
My problem now with my brakes is that I'm having to bleed them every couple of weeks to keep a pedal and for the light not to come on. I have a old Corvette guy helping with this and he tell's me I need to replace the calibers, go with the O ring type.
Any work I do from now on to my car, I want to do the best I can afford. No, I don't have money pouring out of my pockets. This is just a thought so I thought I would get some opinions of it. :w

Sorry for the link not working. ????
If anyone wants to look at the upgrade kit, just google Vette Brakes and you can find it from there.
My problem now with my brakes is that I'm having to bleed them every couple of weeks to keep a pedal and for the light not to come on. I have a old Corvette guy helping with this and he tell's me I need to replace the calibers, go with the O ring type.
Any work I do from now on to my car, I want to do the best I can afford. No, I don't have money pouring out of my pockets. This is just a thought so I thought I would get some opinions of it. :w

Brakes are easy to do yourself, just get someone to help you with bleeding if you don't want to buy a one person kit. If you want an upgrade over new stock type, have you checked the Wilwood options? They may have a less expensive alternative.

It could be that your calipers simply need to be rebuilt. No big deal. VB has kits to do it. O-ring pistons are a band aid for defective brake systems, but there's no harm in using them.

I agree that it sounds like a bad case of rotor runout. The Chevrolet shop manual gives the procedure for measuring rotor runout. Interesting enough, Chevrolet has a different procedure for the fronts than the rears. The rears, due to the spindle and bearing setup presents usually presents a challenge. Sometimes you can minimize runout by rotating the rotor to different wheel stud. At least it gives you 5 chances at getting the runout to spec. Raybestos also sells tapered rotor shims which can be used to adjust the runout. Should you find as a last resort that the rotors need to be turned, look for a shop that can turn the rear rotors on the car. In my experience, the front rotors can be turned off the car.

Also, The Vette Brakes o-ring caliper pistons are great improvement over the factory lip seal type pistons. If one has to replace their pistons, they should consider the o-ring type.

Get speed bleeders for your calipers and bleeding turns into a 1 person operation.

Available at most auto parts stores.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom