Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

brake upgrade

I was never thrilled with the brakes on my '73 eventhough I put all new components on it when I first got it.

Since I upgraded the engine, I really feel I need more braking power and am considering this system:

http://www.vbandp.com/C2-C3-Corvette...-5-Brakes.html

Does anybody have any input, comments, suggestions?

The brake system on your '73 was outstanding technology when it was produced, and it still is today if the components are in good shape; unless you're road-racing the car competitively, the existing system will work just fine.

Did you note that your front hubs need machining to accept the C5 rotors and you'll also need at least 17" x 9" wheels (and tires) as well? Seems like a LOT of money to spend for an "upgrade" that's only for "bling".

:beer

"69 my way"(Chris) installed that setup on his "Killer" Corvette.Its the black Corvette on the cover of the Vette Brake Catalog. I'm sure there is a write up on his website Mcspeed.com.

Due to the responses and advice I got on forums and from vendors, I am going to try some ferro-carbon pads and see if that increases the braking before spending a lot of money. The brakes just don't bite eventhough I have good pedal. I replaced the lines at the wheels, master cylinder, pads and calipers with OEM parts about 600 miles ago. They are not power assisted either so that may play into it.

Due to the responses and advice I got on forums and from vendors, I am going to try some ferro-carbon pads and see if that increases the braking before spending a lot of money. The brakes just don't bite eventhough I have good pedal. I replaced the lines at the wheels, master cylinder, pads and calipers with OEM parts about 600 miles ago. They are not power assisted either so that may play into it.

You're confusing "braking power" with "pedal effort". Ferro-carbon pads will just make it worse unless you put a power brake booster on it.

:beer

As usual, JohnZ is spot-on in his advice and I agree with it. Most likely, this is a problem with your needing either stronger leg muscles or power assist. A change in pad material is not likely to improve the situation.

Given leak-free calipers, proper bleeding, proper pads, proper cooling, minimal run out and power assist, the 65-82 disc brake system works pretty well for a near half-century-old design.

As usual, JohnZ is spot-on in his advice and I agree with it. Most likely, this is a problem with your needed either stronger leg muscles or power assist. A change in pad material is not likely to improve the situation.

The tech's at Muskegon AND Hawk both made the same recommendation to go with upgraded pads. Hawk said I could get as much as 30% more braking power. I hoping they know their products well enough that I'm not wasting my money, I'll report back after I give it a try. Trust me, it's not a lack of leg power!

Let me pile on here. The man who does my alingnments/suspension work told me to spend my money elsewhere instead of upgrading my brakes. He sets up alot of the c3s in this area that do road race/autocross and most of them use the stock style brakes. No need to try to redesign the wheel.

Here's an update (keep in mind my system is not power assist), I had some delays elsewhere but finally installed the Hawk ferro-carbon discs on the front and got exactly what I wanted-better bite on initial brake application. The new system i bought came with some generic (probably cheap) pads and there is a noticable difference with the upgrade. I will be replacing my rear pads in the near future and anticipate further enhanced stopping power.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom