Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! brakes still pull - new caliper

74 stingray

I had a brake issue and thanks to the helpful people on this forum I remedied it by replacing the left (drivers) front caliper and rubber hose. Due to rounding off the nut I also replaced the hard line from the block to the rubber hose.:)

That fixed the hard pulling to the right that I was getting - and the left front caliper that was not releasing.

I bled both front brakes and took it out for an extended test drive. The first hard stop locked up only the right rear. All subsequent hard stops lock up only the left front and I get the associated pull to the left one would expect when it locks up one wheel. Light pressure stops are OK.

The pedal is nice and firm. The right front caliper was replace 3 years ago.

Any ideas on why the left front locks up would be greatly appreciated.

:confused

I can't know for sure without looking at the car, but I'd guess that the other rubber hoses need replaced. You replaced the front driver's side hose, so that caliper is getting full pressure from the master cylinder. If the other hoses are flexing, that explains why they are not locking up.

Personally, I've found that it's best to change all the brake hoses at once, unless they're all new and you have a cut in one. The money saved isn't worth the extra effort it costs to wait for each one to go bad individually.

by chance did you bleed the rest of the wheels...starting with the right rear...then left..then the fronts? just a thought. Might be worth it to see if junk comes out with the fluid when you bleed them too.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom