Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brakes

jseremba

Corvette
1989 Blue Z51 6 spd Manual Transmission
Hello Everybody

I own a 1989 Z51 Manual Corvette. The passenger side caliber is coming out of the bracket that holds the caliber in place. This is under normal drive around town driving. Is this a common problem? Is this a common problem with the Corvette. Is the problem the caliber or the bracket.

Thank you for your help.

Joe

Sounds like you're missing something there. Get the FSM and get it fixed before you take it back out.

C4s use a sliding caliper brake.

If you have a caliper that's coming loose from the caliper mounting bracket, first, STOP driving the car. That's a major safety issue.

Then pull the wheels and ascertain what has failed or worn out. The first thing to look for is a severely worn caliper pin or caliper mounting bracket. Also, I suppose it's possible for the caliper pin to depart the vehicle if the circlip comes off although, I've never heard of that.

In any event, you've got some brake repair work ahead of you.

Good luck.

C4s use a sliding caliper brake.

If you have a caliper that's coming loose from the caliper mounting bracket, first, STOP driving the car. That's a major safety issue.

Then pull the wheels and ascertain what has failed or worn out. The first thing to look for is a severely worn caliper pin or caliper mounting bracket. Also, I suppose it's possible for the caliper pin to depart the vehicle if the circlip comes off although, I've never heard of that.

In any event, you've got some brake repair work ahead of you.

Good luck.

First and foremost I did stop driving the car.
I spoke to ZIP Corvette. They were very helpful. I think what is wrong is the retaining clips are in wrong. I think that the former owner installed the retaining clips thinking that they are wear indicators. So when I get the car back. This week, I will check to see if the retainers are installed correctly.

One question. The dust covers that aftermarket companies sell for the brake caliper. They have Corvette stamped on them. I a wondering if they would help to keep the caliper in place. Just wondering.

Thankyou

NO! Dust covers ONLY partially keep brake dust off the wheels. It's a cosmetic thing. NOTHING ELSE! If the caliper is moving either the locating bolts/pins are worn, the bracket or the caliper is worn. FRONT BRAKES DO 75% OF YOUR STOPPING POWER! DON'T MESS AROUND.
I recently replaced my fronts at Car Quest and new mounting brackets and bolts come with the new calipers. They were about $50.00 each. I'd also replace the caliper bracket bolts if they apear worn. That would indicate they were loose.

Last edited:
NO! Dust covers ONLY partially keep brake dust off the wheels. It's a cosmetic thing. NOTHING ELSE! If the caliper is moving either the locating bolts/pins are worn, the bracket or the caliper is worn. FRONT BRAKES DO 75% OF YOUR STOPPING POWER! DON'T MESS AROUND.
I recently replaced my fronts at Car Quest and new mounting brackets and bolts come with the new calipers. They were about $50.00 each.

What surprised me was the retaining clips and the rad are the only thing that holds that caliper in place. Kind of flimsy. I know that the caliper and bracket are not expensive ($90.00 per side). So I will be purchasing at least one if not both sides.
Thank you for the input.

Check out the videos ECSS provided. They explained it well.

Check out the videos ECSS provided. They explained it well.

About 3 hours ago I found and watched those videos. I will have to pay attention to where the clips, washer etc. are and see if they match the video.

Thank you

Another thing to watch for is,...Make sure the calipers are on the correct side! They CAN be reversed! The way to tell is to make sure the bleeder is at the top of (or near the top of) the caliper. The bleeder screw has to be higher than the brake hose. Otherwise you'd never be able to "bleed" the air out.

Also the lock pin goes on the bottom side of the caliper between the caliper and the bracket and thus wedges the top of the caliper into the slot in the top of the bracket. You install the caliper top into the slot on the top of the bracket then push in the bottom and lock it with the pin.

Be sure the caliper pistons are backed off and the pads are sitting flush on the pistons or it won't fit. Once assembled it is a solid fit. If yours is flimsy, you are missing something.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom