Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brass or no Brass

C

cmegga

Well Im finallly looking into a new radiator. Calling around getting prices Im hearing lots of diffrent things. I was looking for a aluminum replacement and ever one wants to know "why". I have heard twice now that lb for lb brass cools faster then aluminum. I was alway under the impression aluminum was the best solution for a radiator.

Im am bing told to re-core to a 4 row brass for the most uptimum cooling in that car. Could this be true ??

Well needless to say Im very confused as to which way I should go and Im looking for some advise from you guys. Im not conserned about weight, I just want somthing that will fit corectly under the hood and into the shroud, and work the best. I have always had cooling problems on this car and want to put it to bed once a for all what ever it takes.

let me know what you guys think

I would go aluminum. When is the last time you saw a race car running a brass radiator?

Don't know if that in itself means anything, but I personally feel aluminum is the way to go.

JB,
I went with an OEM replacement but heavy duty. Perfect fit and no overheating problems even down here with A/C going. I won't go into the pros and cons only that this solution worked well for me. I have found that most heating issues, particularly on a stock car have more to do with improper mait., water pump, fan, thermostat,etc than the actual design.
Just my .02

Carlo

I would go with a alum. rad as I know the previous owner of my 75 had overheating problems and when he restored the the car he pitched the rad and but in a Griffin alum. This car now runs cool all the time here in Fla in 92 degree heat with the a/c on.

Been There, Done That

I had my brass recored to a four, had bigger tubes put in, cost $425.00, made no difference. Went with a Bkool aluminum, runs 30 degrees cooler.;)

Copper IS a better heat conductor pound-for-pound than aluminum, but that doesn't tell the story. Copper tubes aren't as strong as similar aluminum tubes, and can't be made as large in cross-section (which is where the fins contact them) as aluminum tubes can. As a result, two aluminum tubes offer more surface area for heat rejection than four copper tubes, with less airflow restriction. Aluminum is a better choice.

Doncha just

love this forum?

That makes allot of sence. I apreachiate the feedback.
Looks like I be getting a aluminum radiator !!

Im also going to be changing the headers as well, I made the mistake of not getting the heat coated set and I definitly regret it, as those thing are just poaring off heat. Plus they are not nice and shinney like the coated ones.

If any one wants a set of headman headers for 79-82 let me know. I should have them off the car in 2-3 weeks. They have only seen a summer so they are in get shape. Alls you would need to to cover the shipping. And probabley get yourself some good header wrap as these things do throw some heat !!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom