Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Breaker Point Eliminators

How many of you are using one of the aftermarket "breaker points eliminators" that replace the obsolete breaker points? I installed a Pertronix III in my '68 about 5 years ago and it's certainly worth the money. If you watch your timing light when using a points distributor you'll quickly notice how it'll not flash real often because of the inaccuracy of breaker points. It is one of the very best upgrades you can make and they're not horribly expensive considering how much better they are.

That goes along with how many if you are using Radial tires?
They ride a lot better

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

For a daily driver breaker point eliminators are a great upgrade. Yes, they do cost a lot more but once installed you never have to touch them again.

For a daily driver breaker point eliminators are a great upgrade. Yes, they do cost a lot more but once installed you never have to touch them again.

Except when they go bad.

They are certainly one of the very best upgrades for any early vehicle. The very first ones had a reliability problem but so does any new technology. I remember when HEI's first came out and how the rotors and modules burned up in just a few thousand miles. Now they are very reliable as long as quality parts are used.

I run points in my 72 and will in my 69 once I build it again. These are street cars and a tune up every 10k miles works for me. Keeps me in tune with the car. My son has a drag vette and used several HEI aftermarket setups. They work great, until they fail- in our case with about 1000 miles on it. The GM HEI distributor worked great too and lasted over 100k miles.

I run points in my 72 and will in my 69 once I build it again. These are street cars and a tune up every 10k miles works for me. Keeps me in tune with the car. My son has a drag vette and used several HEI aftermarket setups. They work great, until they fail- in our case with about 1000 miles on it. The GM HEI distributor worked great too and lasted over 100k miles.

With EMP a very real possibility, points and condensers may make a come back......;)

I thought that they were "Electronic Ignition Conversion", not breaker eliminators. Anyway, I have a couple of the Pertronix II's in my '72's. Only problem I have had with the Pertronixs has been with their coils. I'm using the coil that recommend, but they don't seem to last too long.

My '69 has a AC Delco conversion kit in it, like this one from Rock Auto.

More Information for ACDELCO D3968A

It was in the box when I bought the car. Not sure how well it's going to hold up, but it appears and installed similar to the Pertronix unit. Nothing was mentioned about needing a particular coil.

While the electronic ignition kits eliminates the onerous task of checking the dwell once a year or so (oh, the horrors) they do not change/improve performance in any way- unless the distributor/points it's installed in is bad shape to start with.

A different coil will make no change in performance either. The stock unit is more than capable of getting the job done.

Once again TBTR contradicts himself by repeating, rather than eliminating, an old myth.

While the electronic ignition kits eliminates the onerous task of checking the dwell once a year or so (oh, the horrors) they do not change/improve performance in any way- unless the distributor/points it's installed in is bad shape to start with.

A different coil will make no change in performance either. The stock unit is more than capable of getting the job done.

Once again TBTR contradicts himself by repeating, rather than eliminating, an old myth.

The advantage is more accurate timing, the lack of a side load on the shaft and upper bushing, and no adjustments needed. And it eliminates the need for a 6 volt power source and eliminates the need for a solenoid with the "R" terminal that supplies 12 volts while cranking. So yes, they are a big improvement over the obsolete points.

Now..........did you learn anything from what I just said?

Sorry, that's classic troll bait, not falling for it. It's all been beaten to death a thousand times before. Don't you think it's time to find another website to disrupt?

You made a claim so please back up that claim. Since I have been in this great forum I have yet to see you contribute anything to your forum other than bashing me and everything I say.

Sorry, that's classic troll bait, not falling for it. It's all been beaten to death a thousand times before. Don't you think it's time to find another website to disrupt?

One correction; not disrupt as disgust is more accurate.

TBTR can't go anywhere else as they ran him off.TBTR is truly a legend in his own mind..

You made a claim so please back up that claim. Since I have been in this great forum I have yet to see you contribute anything to your forum other than bashing me and everything I say.

You don't seem to have very well developed comprehension skills- something you admonish others for. I was not offering to enter into a debate with you over any technical points. That would be futile as you've rejected anything and everything presented so far no matter how well researched and proven the matter might be. My point in posting above was in hopes of warning off other viewers that may read your posts and get the impression that your advice is correct and agreed upon by others. It's not.

I see that Gary R has weighed in on the subject of diff. rebuilding, yet you still don't seem to 'get it'. 'Please go away' is the overwhelming message.

Foolish Waste Of Time

I see that Gary R has weighed in on the subject of diff. rebuilding, yet you still don't seem to 'get it'.

While uh "Gary R" has been rebuilding positraction differentials so have I so what am I "not getting"? It is a foolish waste of time to run figure 8's when merely driving it from point A to point B coats the sintered iron clutch plates with the new lube and friction modifier.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom