Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Bringin an 86 back to life

adfac

Corvette
1986 Dark Red Convertible
For 2 years, I've agonized over whether to restore my 86 vert or let her go and get a C5. I have a new engine with about 3,000 miles on it and mechanically, it runs great. And I don't want the car payment. So I've finally decided to paint, replace the top, and re-do the interior. Problem is, I'm not a mechanic and I don't know the first thing about restoration. Was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. I think the right order would be to paint first, then do the top, then the interior. The best quote I've gotten to repaint is $3,500 to $4,000 which I think is a good deal. If anyone has any good restoration sources, I would surely appreciate any advice or contacts. I've pretty much decided to get all my interior parts from Corvette America. They seem to have the best deal on seats, carpet sets and weatherstripping which I really need. Thanks for any advice.

I have the reverse thought process. I would want paint to be near the last thing done. I would hate for a tool to be dropped on the car, or with people leaning against it putting new weather strip and the top on, I would paint last.

Depends a little on how extensive the paint job will be.You might want the weather stripping off ( if your replacing it) while it is being painted. Even some of the interior panels might be good to have off, such as door panels . Mostly for ease of painting, but also paint lines under them.
I would wait till I could afford it all and do it all at the same time.
Ask your body shop how they would prefer it.

Glenn
:w

Glenn is correct with his assesment.
I have done it both ways, depending on the amount of restoration that I am doing.

painting last is friendly to the paint but if you don't tape it up good you risk overspray.

If you are just painting the outer shell and staying with the same color paint last.

Get it painted at MAACO $899, I had my 85 vette painted at MAACO 2 years ago andit still looks great. It's the black one.
IMG_1678.jpg

Oh crap. I'm supposed to take it in today. They're going to replace all the weatherstripping and repaint (same color). They remove everything. Bumpers, lights, mirrors, door handles, etc. in order to paint and warranty the paint job for life. The owner has a new Z06. His 6th vette and says they're very familiar with C4s ... not to worry. Maybe I should reconsider.

So are they removing old weather stripping, painting and the replace with new weather stripping? The only thing left would be to remove door panels and just about everything would be painted past exposed edges.

Glenn

So are they removing old weather stripping, painting and the replace with new weather stripping? The only thing left would be to remove door panels and just about everything would be painted past exposed edges.

Glenn

Yes. I'm replacing all the vehicle stripping (not the convertible top weatherstrip ... I'll do that when I replace the top which is after I paint). They're just going to order a complete weatherstrip kit. The door jambs are in great shape. It doesn't sound like they're going to repaint there since I'm going with the same color.

Did Maaco do any body prep for the $899?

I used to sell paint to the Maaco in Tulsa , They did very little prep , most of the paint was a synthetic enamel, single stage.

However you can upgrade to a cheaper Base/clear and they will do some prep.

I had Maaco do a paint job on my Bronco, about ten years ago, I have always thought it was a cheap job (over spray) and it had a two foot run/sag on a door panel but they did sand it out after I talked to them.

with that the paint held up I am looking at it today and I can't complain. I think I would have them paint another vehicle for me.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom