Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Broke the blinker arm!!Help

S

sscam69

I broke the blinker arm.

The problem is there is still a piece inside and I don't know how to get to it. Do I have to tear down the whole steering column to get to it.? I think I can get in with some really thin pliers but I seriously doubt that I can get enough clamping force to pull it out.

Any suggestions? Should I drill it out?

HELP!!!

Frank

You'll have to pull the steering wheel anyway to replace the arm, and to see if the switch the arm attaches to is damaged. If you don't have a puller, they're about $10 at your auto parts store. Suggest you get a Shop Manual to guide you through it.

Are you sure he has to pull the wheel to change the lever? Not sure on a 79 ,but on an 80/82 they pull right out.

On the 75 it threads out. Maybe a small extractor might do the job ,if you can get a small hole drilled into it. beats taking the column apart if you don't have to.

-Jim

I think I can pull it out. I had to do it on my oldsmobile because the same thing happened.

I already bought the replacement for it and from the design of it I think all I have to do is just pull it out. The piece where you insert it looks similar to the one I had to replace on my olds.

Here is a second question. The old blinker arm had a bend in it. I figured it came like that from the factory. When ever I would use the blinker the arm would twist a little.

Is this normal?

Sometimes it would also be a little hard to turn the signal on. I would have to push on a little hard just to get it to click. Sometimes not.

Does this mean I have to replace all the stuff inside the steering column?

I think I do but just want to know what you guys think. I have been putting this off on my TO-DO list but now I think its moving up in the ranks.

I just bought an aluminum radiator with the electric fans and I am almost ready to get cruising BUT I am afraid of driving because of the risk of getting a ticket for not signaling or getting nailed by someone for the same reason!

Frank

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom