Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

broken bulb removal

jimmie jam

Corvette
2007 convertible A6, F55, 3LT, nav.
is there a way to remove shattered pieces of bulb from inside drivers side light housing? i hit a bump in the road last night and the bulb shattered.:mad :cry can anyone help me on this.....please.:confused thanks.

There are 3 bolts that hold the lamp assembly onto the frame. These are 10MM bolts on the back of the plastic headlamp. They are glued, so they will make a crackling sound when you remove them, but don't worry they wont break if you go slow. Remove the lamp and shake out the broken bits.

An old housewive's trick to remove the base (the metal piece) of a broken bulb from its socket is the take a carrot or potato and insert that into the base in order to unscrew and remove it. ;)

Ken beat me to it. I remember one day when my mother broke a bulb in a socket and couldn't get it out. I showed her how with half a potatoe, she wondered where I became so household oriented.

wishuwerehere82 said:
There are 3 bolts that hold the lamp assembly onto the frame. These are 10MM bolts on the back of the plastic headlamp. They are glued, so they will make a crackling sound when you remove them, but don't worry they wont break if you go slow. Remove the lamp and shake out the broken bits.

this is what i need to try, was trying to figure out how. thanks, i'm looking for my 10 MM now.

jimmie jam said:
this is what i need to try, was trying to figure out how. thanks, i'm looking for my 10 MM now.[/QUOT

ok, ok... the inside screw is easy (didn't even "crack") but woooow, the two outside??? i can see one, feel the thrid next to it but whats the best way to remove these? can't get a tool near it! any suggestions. thanks!

JJ,

There are 3 mounting points for the adjusters, The top pivot has a nut on it that will come off easily. You need to remove the painted cover to get to it.
The pivot bolt will come out and give you the extra room to get a box wrench on the mounting bolt for the headlamp.

Aternatively, there are holes in the lamp frame behind the bolts for a ratchet wrench extension to fit through.

wishuwerehere82 said:
JJ,

There are 3 mounting points for the adjusters, The top pivot has a nut on it that will come off easily. You need to remove the painted cover to get to it.
The pivot bolt will come out and give you the extra room to get a box wrench on the mounting bolt for the headlamp.

Aternatively, there are holes in the lamp frame behind the bolts for a ratchet wrench extension to fit through.

pete,

thanks, i get it (see) now...heading to get a couple extensions for my 1/4'. i'll try the atternate method first. if that dosen't work i'll take the paint cover off. many, many thanks!! i'll advise.

j.jam

pete,

i got involved in a mess of other things on saturday...and STILL have not got to the garage and even looked at the car. i'm at the office late tonight...but the plan is to tear into the light tomorrow night. i've got my extensions and i'm ready to go...either way. i will advise. thanks for checking/reminding me!

headlight assembly

wishuwerehere82 said:
Well? Did it work?

Pete,

it worked beautifully. didn't have to take the cover off....1/2" extension was all i needed. boy what a tight fit, you just have to really take you time. got it out, shook out pieces, pushed MF towel in to clean inside, shot some compressed air in, put in new bulb...reverse and BAM, done!!

thanks very much for you help
"knowledge means nothing if you don't share it"

best regards,

jimmie jam

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom