Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Broken Motor Mount?

minifridge1138

Corvette
1982 Black Fastback
Hey everyone,

What is the best way to check for a broken motor mount?

Thanks!

A cheap and dirty way is to have someone watch the engine.
Put it in Drive and give it increasing throttle and see if one side of the engine lifts up. Also try it in reverse to check the other side. Don't give it too much gas, as the fan can hit the shroud if it lifts suddenly.

A safer way is to use an engine hoist to lift the engine and watch for separation of the motor mounts. I would not suggest using a jack under the engine to lift it from underneath, as it may damage the oil pan.

Wish,
When the transmission is in reverse isn't the engine rotating in the same direction as when the transmission is in drive? Wouldn't the same engine mount lift if broken? ?????
Regards,
Alan

Yeah, the engine always spins the same way.

Actually, I found it by giving it throttle in park. I was adjusting my idle (it has been surging a little bit lately) and I noticed the engine "jumped" a lot more than it does in park. I was just afraid that it may jump too much.

The engine hoist is a good idea.

Is there any way to tell by looking from underneath?
How hard is it to fix a broken motor mount?

Thanks everyone!

Wish,
When the transmission is in reverse isn't the engine rotating in the same direction as when the transmission is in drive? Wouldn't the same engine mount lift if broken? ?????
Regards,
Alan

Though the engine does rotate the same direction, The torque is applied for this test at the driveshaft, which does reverse. If you don't believe me, try it.

Is there any way to tell by looking from underneath?
How hard is it to fix a broken motor mount?!

You can see it from below, and replace it too. But it might be hard to see without lifting it first.
Just pull the long bolt from the frame and unbolt the mount from block.
On an 82, it's more fun than a root canal!

You mean besides the fact that you get 1" of clearance between any given component in the engine compartment?:D

lol, well that is the challenge of working on a Corvette: "How can i reach that?"

You can see it, or you can touch it. But you can't do both. Especially not at the same time.

If you're brave enough and have a long pry bar, you can go between the frame and the exhaust manifold and see if you can lift the engine that way. Just watch what you're using for a lever and where it'll go if it slips.

Even better, with a 25-year old car, is to just replace both engine mounts.

That's something i was considering.
What do you mean Lockers?

Sorry, never pulled an engine or broken a mount before, so this is sort of new territory for me.

Thanks!

There are safety devices in them so if they break the travel is limited. The stock rubber ones have a T type lock and the poly ones have it inside the molded mount.

Mini
Don't worry it's not that big of a job but as tim said ya need to have a good sense of touch because most of the job is feeling where the dang bolts are.
Just be patient and get a tube of neosporin for the knuckle scrapes. Especially if you don't have a lift to work under.
Good luck

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom