Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Broken nipple... cause for concern?

Corvette
2002 Z06
Hello friends, a question for you.

Just purchased my first Corvette this past week, a 95 LT1 with only 32,600 miles. I removed the radiator cap today, and in doing so noted that the metal nipple (that the coolant recovery tank hose connects to) appears to have broken off at its base (at some time in the past) and is simply "press fitted" in place - that is, it almost looks as though what has been keeping the nipple in place is the radiator cap bearing against it. There is no sign of coolant leakage anywhere.

Can I successfully repair this (for example, using JB Weld or some other strong adhesive) or am I looking at having to replace the radiator or a related part? Any advice will be gratefully appreciated.

That is an important part as when water expands it has a place to expand to (recovery tank) Once it cools the water is sucked back into the radiator from the expanion tank. If you can glue it without leaks and water can pass freely then it will work. The tanks on the sides of the radiator can be replaced.

The bad part is that if it's leaking, it can suck air back into the coolant system upon cooldown. You end up with a less than full coolant system. I'm not sure how bad that is in vettes but in early dodge neons it led to head gasket failure because it was like a one-way valve (coolant out, air back in repeatedly).

The parts are brass, and so could be soldered or brazed, but the tank is plastic which would be difficult to keep cool while you fix the nipple. I'd recommend some jb weld, but first take the old part out completely, roughen up both pieces with sandpaper, clean with 99% rubbing alcohol, and slop on a good amount of jb weld to get good filets everywhere. Test fit the cap before it cures, so you don't interfere with the closing action.

If I recall, it's not that expensive to just buy a new tank (<$50?). The part name is "surge tank" for some reason.

Congrats on the new vette!

Repair to plastic or fiberglass

Sir: I have been using Marine material for many things, and I suggest you purchase a produce called Marine Tex, it comes in white and black, believe me it will make your repair very easy and will hold like steel. I cost around $7.00 for a small bottle with hardner.

Loud and clear.

The surge tank is a reasonably inexpensive part (approx $35. from Fichtner Chevrolet, Laurel, MT), so that's the way I'll go.

Season's Greetings to all, and thanks!

Re: Repair to plastic or fiberglass

[email]dr.wells2@sbcglobal.net[/email] said:
Sir: I have been using Marine material for many things, and I suggest you purchase a produce called Marine Tex, it comes in white and black, believe me it will make your repair very easy and will hold like steel. I cost around $7.00 for a small bottle with hardner.

that stuff works great !:upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom