Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

brum brum brum brum brum brum BANG BANG brum brum brum BANG brum brum brum brum brum

Flared69

Corvette
1969 350ci #36155
hmm thats what my car sounds like at the moment.

I'm taking it to a place to get properly tuned up in two weeks, what would you reccomend I should do beforehand? Or is there something else I should look at.

My dad says its carbon burning or something misfiring, any ideas? Will pay whatever it takes to get it fixed!

I really need to put the original cam in and stop it running so rich. It also ticks over still after it stops, I even saw a fireball come out teh sidepipe today :( NOT GOOD! could have set fire to my garage.

Mine was doing similar things before I rebuilt my carb. That might be the source of your fuel delivery woes.

I always thought the run-on after shutting down was due to low-octane gas.

The backfiring and flames are from running rich and putting combustible gas into the exhaust. The carb may be at fault or you may just not be igniting one or more cylinders. . .

I hope you get it fixed before you light up the garage! :D

Good luck!

lol

well, we only use the premium / high octane.

the carb is a holley 750cfm, might fix that up. I think it is running too rich. Might have to check the spark plugs too...

tune up time.

check your power valves in the carb! holly has a bad habit of rupturing the diaphrams if the motor backfires. with a blown valve the jetting is enrichened by about ten sizes. if both front and rear are gone your looking at 20 sizes. also, if you're as rich on the mixture as you say, raw fuel may be bypassing the rings and getting into the oil. so check your oil for gas smell and viscosity. to much gas in the oil and you run the risk of scalling or spinning the main bearings. the popping may be from soot foulled spark plugs. Brian

You say you put in a cam? Look for a bent valve.
Check the timing, also.
That's where I'd start.
Jacko

8 miles/gallon, your lucky. if i run my 406 any faster than 60 mph i get about 5 mpg with a tail wind. i really need an overdrive kit, the mechanical secondaries don't help with economy either. of course with the price of fuel in Aussie land, i would be whining like a gut shot whimp. Brian

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom