Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bubba strikes again

Antz81

Corvette
1981 4 speed
Replacing the seat belt in my 81 as someone had put fixed (3 point) belts in, and they were just annoying me.
Started on the drivers side found two of the bolts were the wrong bolts. Even a child should be able to spot that they were not right. The passenger side still had the correct bolts.
20170829_170817.jpg
The bolt on the left is incorrect (7/16-20) the two on the right are correct.
The drivers side only had the middle bolt and two of the incorrect bolts. It should have had two of the middle bolts and one of the bolts on the right.
The correct bolts (from my measurements) are M12x1.75. M12 (0.4724") is bigger than 7/16 (0.4375"). A thread pitch of 1.75 is roughly 14TPI.

Hopefully the nuts haven't been too badly damaged by this.

Some vendors say the correct bolts are 1/2-13 but the overall diameter I measured is too low for this, Based on my thread gauges 13TPI was wrong. I can take some photos showing this if people want to see it.

Did the thread get compromised???
You could ran a tap thru them just to be sure.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

There is some damage, I will be running a tap through, need to see if I can find the correct bolts still.

Don't use a tap, use a thread chaser.

The seat belt bolts, I believe, are not Corvette specific. I think you could find those in any '70's - 80's GM passenger cars. Of course, being down under may affect local availability....

A tap will cut and potentially change the angle of the thread making it looser. A thread chaser simply cleans the existing threads..

Chased the treads today, and installed the seatbelt. Looks so much tidier with red retractable belts than it did with the other belts (which I noticed after removing them that they weren't even a matching pair)

now i I just need to get the diff finished and I can drive it again.:D:D

Chased the treads today, and installed the seatbelt. Looks so much tidier with red retractable belts than it did with the other belts (which I noticed after removing them that they weren't even a matching pair)

now i I just need to get the diff finished and I can drive it again.:D:D

I did the red seatbelts a couple years ago and I really like the looks. Trying to figure out how to get a good looking red centering stripe on my steering wheel, I didn't like the look of tape plus it just felt wrong to me, needed to be more integrated.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom