Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bumper letters?

M

Mungo 75

Hi I'm a new member and am impressed with everyones
knowledge on corvettes. Perhaps this has been answered before but I didn't see it. I just replaced my rear bumper on my 75 with a fiberglass bumper. The original was urethane with recessed spaces for the chrome letters. My question is, are the letter studs long enough to be applied to the fiberglass bumper. I don't want to drill the holes if they won't work. If they won't work, has anyone a suggestion as to a glue or something that will hold them on?

Thanks for any help and for a great website!

Hi Mungo and welcome to the CAC! I moved your post over here to the C3 forums in the hopes that someone else who has done this will see it. I couldn't begin to answer as my shark has slightly different letters than yours but someone will come along soon.

I have yet to figure out what exactly is supposed to hold the letters in place. The studs appear to be long enough to put a 'push on' clamping washer (I don't remember the correct terminology for this keeper). My '75 came to me with the letters simply pressed into the holes on the original bumper. One of them was slightly loose. However, never in a million years would I have dreamt that it would ever fall out. Boy was I wrong!! I washed the Vette one weekend ago . . . all of the letters were in place . . . then on the next Tuesday night, I noticed that the first 'E' was missing. Broken hearted, I dug out all of my catalogs everything from Eckler's to Doc Rebuild . . . everyone wants to sell the entire set . . . not just the 'E'. So, 40 bucks later, I've got all of the letters coming . . . but I only need the 'E'. My advice? Well, lets put it this way . . . I bought some two part epoxy from the drug store. When those letters come, they're gonna get stuck on there PERMANENTLY!! With epoxy . . .

Oh well, live and learn.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom