Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bumper savers: Do they work?

BulletTime

Corvette
2000 Sebring Silver 6-spd
My front end is suffering every time I exit and enter the driveway. I'm considering the Mid America Motorworks bumper savers with the polyurethane wheels. Anyone know if they really work?

they sound cool

Hey bullet,
Let me know if you pick them up. I live close to you in Palatine and would like to see them.
thanks,
Joe

JoeMackin said:
Hey bullet,
Let me know if you pick them up. I live close to you in Palatine and would like to see them.
thanks,
Joe

Will do.

If you have a sloped driveway, yes, these will help.

I got mine from the originators, A&A Corvette. They work great, but you still have to take drainage dips, sloped driveways, and concrete parking barriers slowly.

I would recommend getting the skids (small pieces of angled steel that bolt on), rather than the rollers. The trick is to protect the orginal bumper/skid without reducing your ground clearance. Keep in mind the skids are attached to the front clip and you DO NOT want to be pushing up on the front clip any more that you already do.
Just my .02........:beer:w

They have definitely helped me. I have my car lowered and I couldn't live without it.

cruzer82 said:
I would recommend getting the skids (small pieces of angled steel that bolt on), rather than the rollers. The trick is to protect the orginal bumper/skid without reducing your ground clearance. Keep in mind the skids are attached to the front clip and you DO NOT want to be pushing up on the front clip any more that you already do.
Just my .02........:beer:w

Do you have any info, links, or pics on these skids and/or where to get them?

cruzer82 said:

Just a crazy question...wouldn't the skid plates sold by Motor Sport Image scrape the ground as well, since they don't have wheels? I'm thinking of situations like mine where you're pulling into a driveway with a modest "curb", rather than a very gradual slope. I'm also wondering if the wheel-type bumper savers put any stress on the skid bars, since they're bolted/welded directly to them (what are the skid bars connected to, anyway?). Or would the wheels, in fact, absorb stress? Either way, it's not like they would see much action, unless high driveways, speedbumps and other Vette hazards were encountered all day long.

If the wheels can be mounted so that they touch just before the skid rubs (1/8 inch below the rub point), then the wheels would be better. The ones I've seen mounted stick down about 1/4 to 3/8 inch which means that much less clearance and that much more pressure on the front clip.

I got the framesavers and rocker rails from A&A. Rocker rails help on the "break over" in driveways and speedbumps, the framesavers (the wheels up front) have helped immensly. Andy usually has a package deal on the set. Easy to install, I know, I watched the whole process!

b_pappy said:
I got the framesavers and rocker rails from A&A. Rocker rails help on the "break over" in driveways and speedbumps, the framesavers (the wheels up front) have helped immensly. Andy usually has a package deal on the set. Easy to install, I know, I watched the whole process!
Who is Andy? :confused And where and when does he have the deals for these framesavers?

Vettehead said:
Who is Andy? :confused And where and when does he have the deals for these framesavers?

I believe Andy is the guy at A&A. click. Scroll down to the last 2 items on the page. Rocker Rails and Frame Savers. I got some MAJOR rash on my rocker panels that could have been prevented if I'd had the Rocker Rails. ug.

Tammy

MsSchroder said:
I believe Andy is the guy at A&A. click. Scroll down to the last 2 items on the page. Rocker Rails and Frame Savers. I got some MAJOR rash on my rocker panels that could have been prevented if I'd had the Rocker Rails. ug.

Tammy
As usual, Ms Schroder is correct. I unfortunately learned about rocker rails after I got nailed on a bad breakover angle. The same driveway later in the week took out a school bus oil pan, so maybe a rocker panel wasn't too bad. Yes, and the school has since fixed the driveway.

Hello

BulletTime said:
Just a crazy question...wouldn't the skid plates sold by Motor Sport Image scrape the ground as well, since they don't have wheels? I'm thinking of situations like mine where you're pulling into a driveway with a modest "curb", rather than a very gradual slope. I'm also wondering if the wheel-type bumper savers put any stress on the skid bars, since they're bolted/welded directly to them (what are the skid bars connected to, anyway?). Or would the wheels, in fact, absorb stress? Either way, it's not like they would see much action, unless high driveways, speedbumps and other Vette hazards were encountered all day long.

Its a good question...the skid plate protectors will still scrape whatever the skid pads would have scraped..therefore they hardly do any good...you still hear the horrible sctaping noise and the protectors get all scraped up as the skid bars do...the frame savers(wheels) do not hang down low enough to place any stress on anything...and btw the wheels will not protect against certain speed bumps because when the wheels do not even come in contact with the bump, there are other parts of the frame, etc that could hit the speed bump...rocker rails are also perfect to protect the rocker panels and you can jack the car right on these without damaging the panels..so you do not need pucks anymore when jacking the car up...and yes this is the best place to get frame savers and rocker rails...>>>>
I got my frame savers and rocker rails from A&A(A&A Corvette specialties.com)...Andy is the owner and a great guy with fast service and he backs whatever he sells to the max:) ......

Get the framesavers and rocker rails together and get a nice discount...cheap protection...:beer

Hello

BulletTime said:

=======================================================
A&A Corvette Performance
477-A LAMBERT STREET
OXNARD, CA 93036
805-278-4107 or 888-838-8377 (888-VETTEPRO)
805-278-4108 (FAX)
email: Andy@AandACorvette.com

Go to their website and look at the rockerrails and framesavers:)

Torch Red, you've summed it all up perfectly. I think A & A has a new customer.

BulletTime said:
Torch Red, you've summed it all up perfectly. I think A & A has a new customer.

:upthumbs...those are the kind of "mods" I love to do:)

MsSchroder said:

Tammy

Andy is A&A Corvette. He is the one who originally thought up the Frame Savers and Rocker Rails. I have both on my vette, and they have saved me countless scratches and dings. His prices, especially on the rocker rails is generally a lot better than MAW or Ecklers. Also, for those out west, he is one of the premier late-model vette tuners in CA. He developed a custom Procharger kit that is awesome, and is currently doing a 427 C6. I highly recommend him and his shop.

http://www.aandacorvette.com/

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom