Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Burning Oil?

FiXXZR1

Corvette
1991 Corvette Zr1
Hey Forum!

I was just wondering from others on here, how much if any oil does your ZR1 burn or go through?

I heard with all aluminum engines it's common to go through oil, aswell if your running synthetic oil it could increase the rate of burn?

Please let me know your experence.

Mike.

I have a 95 with 135,000 miles and it virtually burns NO oil.:)

The early LT5s did not have valve seals and tend to use some. My 91 with 45K miles will use about a quart every 3K to 5K miles, and trust me I never baby it. I change it every 5K or one year.

Hummm, I would still like to hear from a few others, but i've been through 2 quarts in 5K. I have no drips and no smoke out the back, in full throttle or after a few days sitting.

Burning Oil

Hummm, I would still like to hear from a few others, but i've been through 2 quarts in 5K. I have no drips and no smoke out the back, in full throttle or after a few days sitting.

I have a 91 ZR1 with over 100k & don't burn any oil.

Tomcat 74
91 ZR1 #906 :pat

Ok. A qt. ever 2500 miles might be a bit on the high side if the engine is relatively low mileage and had been maintained properly.

I believe it's only the 90s which laced exhaust valve seals so that's probably not an issue.

What kind of oil do you use?
How many miles on the engine?
What's the maintenance history?

AmsOil Synthetic

The car has 120,000miles on it, and as far as I know the car has been maintained well.

I do have the car in the shop now, and I believe my mechanic found some blow-by plate. Or something to do with releasing crank case pressure, the gasket was leaking.
3 Shorting injectors and a small vaccum leak under the plenum.

With a high-mileage engine like that, two quarts in 5000 miles is low oil consumption.

I might add that your beliefs that all aluminum engines have inherently high oil consumption and that use of synthetic oil increases the "burn rate" are both incorrect.

Lastly, there was a post earlier about a 135,000-mile LT5 which burns no oil. There's a fantasy at the opposite extreme. There is no such thing as an LT5--or any other engine for that matter--which burns no oil.

I'd have to agree with Hib. My '91 with 110,000+ burns/uses approx. 1 qt. every 1000...or maybe more when I run it "hard" for most of those miles.

My 90 ZR-1 just turned 70,000 miles. It had 65,000 when I bought it and I to noticed I lost a quart after the first 2,500. But I also had a little oil leak comming from the plenum valley which from what I,ve read is common from improperly torqued bolts backing off over the years. I,ve since retorqued them and the leak has stopped so we will see in another 2,500 miles. I,ve been running Royal Purple in it. But have been persuaded to try Amsoil next oil change.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom