Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Buying a late model C-4

brianm617

Hello,
I am in the market for a used C4(93-96 manual trans coupe). I've had a few C3's in the past but this will be my first vette in 10+yrs. What are some of the things(issues or problems) that I should be looking out for in a used C4? Also are there any reasons(dependability) that I should be looking for an lt-1 over the lt-4? Thanks for any help.

Brian

Howdy,

Welcome to the CAC.

Having owned both LT1 and LT4 Vettes in the past, I did not notice any dependability issues with either but the LT4 was a lot more fun!
The 95/96 Vettes had the better OptiSpark distributor that was less likely to have water or moisture problems. They were also OBDII which means you can edit the chip in the computer. The 92-94 LT1's have OBDI computers with removable chips.
Depending on the miles on the car you looking at, you may need to check wheel bearing/hubs. It was my experience that the hubs needed to be replaced soon after 90K miles.
Check the headlights to make sure they open and close properly. If there is any hesitation in opening/closing or any motor run on after fully open/closed, the headlight bushings need to be replaced.
Some 6-speed Vettes of this age still have a working "CAGS" and that can catch you by surprise when shifting from first gear. A "CAGS" eliminator can come in handy.
Go for the newest model you can afford - then again most C4's are very affordable now.

mileage

Thanks Tuna,
I have seen a few low mileage C-4's for sale. Is there any to tell if the mileage is on the digital odometer is correct?

Howdy,

Welcome to the CAC.

Having owned both LT1 and LT4 Vettes in the past, I did not notice any dependability issues with either but the LT4 was a lot more fun!
The 95/96 Vettes had the better OptiSpark distributor that was less likely to have water or moisture problems. They were also OBDII which means you can edit the chip in the computer. The 92-94 LT1's have OBDI computers with removable chips.
Depending on the miles on the car you looking at, you may need to check wheel bearing/hubs. It was my experience that the hubs needed to be replaced soon after 90K miles.
Check the headlights to make sure they open and close properly. If there is any hesitation in opening/closing or any motor run on after fully open/closed, the headlight bushings need to be replaced.
Some 6-speed Vettes of this age still have a working "CAGS" and that can catch you by surprise when shifting from first gear. A "CAGS" eliminator can come in handy.
Go for the newest model you can afford - then again most C4's are very affordable now.

A CARFAX® might yield some truth about odometer mileage.

I also owned a 96 LT4, they are great Vette's! :thumb
:lou

Take your time, drive several and haggle about the price you pay: It's a buyers market. :w

Later . . . . . . .
6 Shooter

BTW - Welcome to the :CAC

Thanks Tuna,
I have seen a few low mileage C-4's for sale. Is there any to tell if the mileage is on the digital odometer is correct?

That's a good question and I don't know the answer. I suppose if the original dash was changed out for any reason, the mileage would be different but the states/feds require that the difference be documented.
Another way to stop the odometer is to pull the plug to the dash but that causes all sorts of other problems.

When checking the miles on the car, you do not need to start the engine (although I'm sure you will). On the late C4, just turning on the headlights activates parts of the dash and the odometer is one. If the display is not set for odo, just press the appropriate button on the right side of the dash to put it in odometer display mode.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom