Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

buying auto vs manual

vett boy said:
I thought there we're more real men out there.

What is your definition of a real man? Is it just a person that drives a stick or are there more qualifications for that title? ;)

I think one of the current drivers in Formula One said that he is a much better "driver" with both hands on the wheel, and being a great "shifter" was not the same thing...of course their paddle actuated, million dollar controlled autos are a little different...some paddle shift up, some paddle shift down...some are full auto...some full paddle...that is the best of every world...

Some sports cars require manuals to get the most out of the engine - not in the case of a Vette - with that said - it is all in the quality of the automatic!

I would not be caught dead owning something like an Alfa Spider or Miata with an auto because it is a slush box that does not bring anything out of the car - you are always in the wrong gear - four bangers I think need the manual just so you can get them twisted.

With all of the low-end grunt of a Vette, it become less important - it was stated earlier - have fun and shift your auto if you need that fix - my Vette has a four speed and I got it because it was rare and fun - but my second Vette will be an auto!

My 94 is a 6spd, its a DD and I drive in traffic to work everyday. 80 mile round trip, with 20 miles of often bumper to bumper traffic. I'D NEVER DRIVEN A STICK BEFORE EXCEPT FOR A CROSS COUNTRY DRIVE IN A RENT-A-TRUCK FROM NY TO FLORIDA IN 1985.

I love the stick and wouldn't have it any other way.

Vettefan87 said:
What is your definition of a real man? Is it just a person that drives a stick or are there more qualifications for that title? ;)

I thought "real men" were imagicknary, kinda like the ether bunny and satan claws....that's why women are always looking for them so hard but never finding them, it's cuz they don't exist? :L

I know Ontario is big, but I know of a white 4+3 in northern PA, maye an 85?? :bu I think they were asking 4500 for it.

I have an Auto because I could not find a Manual Dark Red Metallic

I had a T-Shirt.. it said

"Real Men wear Black"

I have driven both and while the 2 rotor RX-7 was fun it was also a pain in the butt especially in hilly Seattle. With the 'vette I specifically looked for an auto and if I have to have a "shift fix" I shift the auto.

It comes down to being practical, what you like and trusting GM to design a transmission that will shift for itself. With my vette they did.

r1junky said:
i'm in the process of getting a used corvette. i love the C3 styling, but i am going to go with the C4 for suspension and engine reasons. thing is, it is so hard to find a C4 with a manual tranny. people must not want to part with the manuals or something? or back in the day, everyone chose automatic option, which seems odd for a car like the corvette.
Only you really know what you want. Some prefer a slush box others will tell you to buy manual. If you want a manual you can do as I did just keep looking until you find what you want. I passed up a lot of nice looking vette's because they were equipped with a auto.
Some things that seem to get over looked in the manual vs auto debate is the rear-end not only will the 700r fail under any serious power but the little Dana 36 will also. The manual has a D44 much stronger. Another thing often overlooked is that the early 6 speed was stronger than the later ones.
Decide what would suit you best then don't compromise just keep looking until you find what you want.

vett boy said:
Real men drive manual, keep looking they made over 10,000 per year and some are for sale. Good luck
I have to agree:upthumbs
Just try and find the new Z06 with an automatic (wont happen) true sports cars have mannual trannys!

I think I can shed some light on the manual vs auto reasoning. Back when the automatic transmissions first came out they could not handle much HP.Also they were slow shifting and the term slushbox fit. If you were at all preformance minded you went with a stick, especially when the new style four speeds came out. In the mid 60s autos became much better and stronger such as the GM 400 which in the beginning was a 375. With todays automatic transmissions preformance isn't that much diff and the auto will for the most part be more consistent in the 1/4 mile. Sure the auto on occassionally takes a dump, so does a clutch. Only diff is the clutch an average mechanic can usually replace.Like many have said here,it is all in what you want. You want to be lazy or really have fun?;) I am of the old school. A sports car should be a stick. But at the same time I would like to get an auto coupe along with my six speed convert.

Glenn
:w:lou

r1junky said:
i'm in the process of getting a used corvette. i love the C3 styling, but i am going to go with the C4 for suspension and engine reasons. thing is, it is so hard to find a C4 with a manual tranny. people must not want to part with the manuals or something? or back in the day, everyone chose automatic option, which seems odd for a car like the corvette.

I waited years looking for the right combination of options before I purchased my vette, and one of the required components was having a 6-speed!

I've only owned 1 vehicle in my whole life with an automatic in it and that is my Dodge Truck.

I say that if you want to totally experience the joys of driving, find a Vette with a manual tranny, you only live once.

Good luck in finding your dream car, it's worth waiting for the exact one.

father & son

84,C4,50,000 mi.,4+3,change over drive fluid reg.,Not a daily driver. All stock,can't out run a viper or 05,& 06. But when i pull up next to any competition a manual trans. can be really be a thrill!!. Also, any of the Rice Rockets have second thoughts. Another words it's a RUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Plus shifting will burn up calories and help maintain your weight,it's good for your health? SHIFT!!!!!

vette1_15_6-02.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom