Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Buying shocks for my 85 corvette

S

Shadowing1985v

hey guy's, what are the best shocks for my money

im looking in Ecklers Mag

what is the best shocks in that mag??

i see some good ones, GT shocks
it says it provides smoother ride on normal roads than high prssure gas charged shocks,, "standard equipment on new corvettes. while automatically adjusting to higher force reaction for harshe raod conditions,, these cost 130 a pair
which brings me to 260 bucks

there are two other brand names with gas cushioned shock Absorbers
Delco "Reactek" for 130 bucks for all 4
or
KYB for 150 bucks for all 4

what do u guy's recommend,, what is the best,, for the money

"Best" is a relative term - it depends on what you want to do. Bilstein XTremes are great track shocks, but would suck on a daily driver. Monroe Sensatraks are cheap and give a good ride (had some for a short time to pass inspection) but don't like hard cornering.

My personal choice was the set of custom-valved shocks from TPIS. I believe they were $175 for the set of four and were very easy to install. Gives a compliant ride on the street (no complaints from the wife) and seems to handle decently (will know for sure after my upcoming track day).

Memorize the TPIS catalog... they like our cars...

[RICHR]

wow thanx

i guess i didn't think to look at my TPIS catalog for shocks

those do look nice and the price looks good

thanx

You're welcome...

Obviously, others will have different opinions, but these seemed like an overall good deal.

Anyone want to buy a pair of nearly new front Monroe Sensatraks? :)

[RICHR]

yeah im slowly upgrading my car

upgrading in all areas

I will do teh shocks in a few weeks,, trying to give my 85 a smooth ride like the newer ones

Bilstein baby,
I have the z51 and replaced the Monroe Sensatraks. The 85 is known for rough handling and the bilstein amplifies that, but the corning is great. The thing to remember a vette is a sports car, a little rough riding is part of the package.

if i upgrade my shocks

will i lose my cornering?
but alot, or what

cuase right now the cornering on my 85 is so nice

i mean im sure the newer corvettes corner just as well as my 85 right??

or am I wrong,, does the 85 do better cornering,,

if this is true then im going to keep it how it is

The Bilstein shocks come stock with the Z51 option, that is the main reason I changed the Monroe shocks. I have read that one of biggest complains about the 84-85 vettes was the stiffness in the handling. Later years had the handling softened up. I also read that the 84-85 handling was over built, possible use on ZR1.

Bilstein

My stock 1984 Z-51 shocks were factory rebuilt and revalved to GS specs, in San Diego. Their customer service guy was wonderful and knowledgeable. The car handles great and rides much better.

I went through two sets of Monroes; then took them up on their money back offer for leakage.

TPIS is a great vendor, IMHO.

Re: Bilstein

WhalePirot said:
My stock 1984 Z-51 shocks were factory rebuilt and revalved to GS specs, in San Diego.

Bilstein just jacked their prices up for rebuilding their shocks from what I hear. They'd rather you purchase new shocks I guess, at least that's the story I got. ;)

_ken :w

Hi,
I just replaced all for of my shocks and went with the KYB's. I don't have any complaints. Ride is great and performance is O.K.
Gus
1985 4+3 K&N Open Air Filter, Power Effects Exhaust, Stage I Chip, Air Foil, 4 new GoodYear Eagles, Re-Built Trans and OD, New Battery, New Digial Dash, Plugs, wires, Dist Cap etc....Oh and a New Kenwood MP3/Cd amfm. I'm Broke...lol
Gus
http://www.gusvette.com

i don't understand,, 85's don't have problems with handling, mine handles perfectly,

i take my 85 120 around curves all the time,,

is my 85 special??, its L98

i have seen other 85 post saying there handling could be better on the 85,,
maybe someon put differant ones on
or maybe i dont' know what good handling, is, hehe
the ride is rough, thats wha ti wanted to fix

I have the Edelbrock IAS shocks on mine..

I get a nice ride with them and they handle well on corners

shocks

I just replaced mine with original bilstiens 70.00 ea at TLD,just my .02.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom