Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Buzzer Always On

76Stingray

Corvette
1997 Arctic White Coupe
I just replaced the lock cylinder and cancel cam in my 76 Stingray. During disassembly, the plastic piece that comes off right after the steering wheel (don't know the name for sure, but I think its the C-ring plastic retainer) just crumbled in my hand and could not be reused. I finished the job without that piece and everything went to together just fine. Now the door buzzer (seat belt buzzer) is on any time the drivers door is open, regardless of whether or not the key is in the ignition. What did I do wrong? I can't imagine that plastic piece is causing this problem. I bought the lock cylinder from Smart Parts at Bloomington Gold last month and the package states that it works for 69 to 77 Corvettes. Can anyone help me?

Answered My Own Question

The good news is that I figured it out. The bad news was that I had to completely disassemble everything that I had already done to find the problem. During my installation of the new lock cylinder, I had the key fully engaged, which caused the plastic keeper on the lock cylinder to remain partly engaged. As I pushed the cylinder into the column, this plastic keeper broke the Ignition Key Warning Switch (which must have been the original, because when I pulled it out the plastic crumbled in my hand) and kept the switch on all the time. $20 fix, but about 3 additional hours of work. I should have just replaced it in the first place.

Great post and answer,;LOLlove those who can answer their own questions, my wife does that a lot.:L

The good news is that I figured it out. The bad news was that I had to completely disassemble everything that I had already done to find the problem. During my installation of the new lock cylinder, I had the key fully engaged, which caused the plastic keeper on the lock cylinder to remain partly engaged. As I pushed the cylinder into the column, this plastic keeper broke the Ignition Key Warning Switch (which must have been the original, because when I pulled it out the plastic crumbled in my hand) and kept the switch on all the time. $20 fix, but about 3 additional hours of work. I should have just replaced it in the first place.

Now that you have been inside the column, could you tell how I can make the key warning switch work. (no buzzer sound) It has not worked since I have owned the car (81). It is no big deal that it does not work, but I like everything to work as intended.
Thanks\Bill

There could be a couple things going on. Either the switch is broken like mine was, or the buzzer itself doesn't work. I would check the buzzer first becasue it's a much easier job. It's located right under the dash, close to the fuse block. If that's not it, it could be the switch. My best recommendation to you would be to get a 66 - 82 shop manual. It covers almost everything in good detail with pictures and clearly laid out steps. Hope this helps.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom