Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Buzzers

Guy

Proud to Support the Corvette Action Center!
Corvette
2010 CRMT Grand Sport Coupe
At the NCRS Chapter meet this summer, I found that my alarm and none of my buzzers worked (key, headlight, seatbelt). Last weekend I was under the dash trying to troubleshoot the key buzzer and just re-seated the column/chassis connector. That's when I figured I don't have a clue what I'm doing and best leave things alone. Well, now my alarm works :J but I'm wondering - do all the buzzers work off the one buzzer connected to the fuse pannel? Could I just have a faulty buzzer? I tried shorting the wires to make the key buzzer sound, but nothing/nada (hope I got the correct wires jumped). Ok, enough ramble - Are all the 'buzzer's just one?

If this make no sense, lets just play name that car again :Silly.

Thanks
-Guy

Thanks for asking, Guy

My buzzers have worked occaisionally, now not at all. Have not tackled the problem yet, but hope someone will speak up and help make the solution easier for both of us.

Bill

I'm sysmpathetic. Bubba got to my 77 to add to the confusion. He added an after market alarm with the switch under the hood. How he turned it on is beyond me.

Then to add to confusion, there are two wires with switches coming up into the passenger compartment with no purpose that I can fathom. No matter which position they are in everything seems to work.

I, like you, know that when it comes to electrical I am out of my league. Once I get the dashboard back together I plan on taking it to a local electrical shop with the electrical diagrams purchased on EBay and having the aftermarket alarm and extra wiring removed and seeing if I can get the original alarm fixed.

The relay appears to be working. There is a clicking under the center console when you lock the door (my alarm is built into the door key) and open it by reaching in and unlocking it and opening it so I am hoping it will be something easy.

Bob

Good luck.

bobchad said:
I, like you, know that when it comes to electrical I am out of my league. Once I get the dashboard back together I plan on taking it to a local electrical shop with the electrical diagrams ...
Bob

Good luck.

My mechanic said he could fix it over the winter, but I thought it might be something simple like a bad buzzer.

-Guy

Guy,

I'm hoping that mine is simply a bad horn but then I am concerned as I haven't been able to find alarm components in any of the catalogues that I have obtained. With any luck, easy won't become impossible. :upthumbs

Bob

Pulled those annoying, shrieking, noisy, usless, things out as soon as I got the car.

KenSny said:
Pulled those annoying, shrieking, noisy, usless, things out as soon as I got the car.
I don't wish to sound like a snob or anything because I normaly don't want to hear these noises either:hb. However, for the first time in my life I have a car with Bloomington and NCRS potential Therefore, I care. Otherwise - RIP EM OUT! :J

-Guy

82-Guy said:

I don't wish to sound like a snob or anything because I normaly don't want to hear these noises either:hb. However, for the first time in my life I have a car with Bloomington and NCRS potential Therefore, I care. Otherwise - RIP EM OUT! :J

-Guy

Thats where I am also. People these days don't respect the property of others. I'd be very angry to come out and find that I put all that work in a car and it was stolen. I realize that the alarms aren't foolproof, but its better than nothing.:r

Bob

LOL even though they are annoying at times they have prevented me from leaving my headlights on or keys in the car in my 91 cutlass. It starts to go crazy if one of those two happen.

Guy

The wiring diagram that I have for my 81 shows only one buzzer. My book goes through 82 but there is no note or seperate diagram, so I assume that the 81-82 are the same. I might suspect dirty contacts. Try pulling it out and cleaning up the connectors then re-install it.

DDL-81 said:
Guy
The wiring diagram that I have for my 81 shows only one buzzer. My book goes through 82 but there is no note or seperate diagram, so I assume that the 81-82 are the same. I might suspect dirty contacts. Try pulling it out and cleaning up the connectors then re-install it.

Thanks, Dale. I'll it. I looked at the diagrams too but was not sure. Looking at the diagrams for me is like looking at clouds - I saw a ducky and a horsey :D. I 'll give it a try. If I have to replace the buzzer, I don't see one in any of the catalogs. Maybe it's a simple as you suggest.

-Guy

Guy, you might be surprised at what you can still find at the local Chevy dealer's parts counter. The larger ones that actually put corvettes on their lot seem to have parts in stock even. I found U-joint strap bolts that "NO" catalog had, on the shelf in Portland, ME...........go figure!

bobchad said:
There is a clicking under the center console when you lock the door (my alarm is built into the door key) and open it by reaching in and unlocking it and opening it so I am hoping it will be something easy.

Bob

Next to the relay, in the console there is a flasher for the alarm. One or both of these is the usual culprit due to moisture, dust etc. So when you change one, change both and save yourself the time of doing it again. In any case, its an E-Z fix. Rick

tangee-vette said:

Next to the relay, in the console there is a flasher for the alarm. One or both of these is the usual culprit due to moisture, dust etc. So when you change one, change both and save yourself the time of doing it again. In any case, its an E-Z fix. Rick

Thanks Rick, I'll give it a try.

Bob:_rock

Went to the dealer and was able to get the flasher. There are three or four relays, with only one still in production. Got to pull the thing out and take it back to them to see if that is the one. I'm not optimistic. As they say "if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all". :s

Bob

This is funny. Of all the things I have been adding and dreaming of adding to my 69, a warning buzzer never made the list.

However, it would be cool if I had to have one to put a newer style so I get that bong bong bong instead of the buzzzzzzzzzz sound.

Chris,

It's all about meeting your customer's expectations. Tell them what you want, they listen and irrespective of what you told them they heard that you needed a buzzer.:D

Bob

According to my 80 service manual the ignition key alarm switch is in the Steering column.
tom

Tom,

I think the 77 is a little different. As I understand things, the alarm is activated by the door switch and there is a relay and a flasher under the center console. The flasher was easily reachable. The relay is a little more difficult, if it's what I think it is, and will likely require me to lift the console to reach it.

My earlier post was not clear; there is only one relay with three or four possible variations of the same piece.

Bob

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom